Chapter 25

Ewluea, Neteyam, Rotxo, Aonung, and Tsireya swam through the reefs below the water's surface with their ilus just above them

Ewluea, Neteyam, Rotxo, Aonung, and Tsireya swam through the reefs below the water's surface with their ilus just above them. Worried about Lo'ak, the group started following him while observing from the seaweed. As Lo'ak and Payakan floated in the water, they all spotted them together underwater too. Lo'ak hesitated, unsure of what Payakan expected from him.

Payakan took his time, gradually parting his massive jaws after a brief moment of suspension in the water. His mouth grew larger with each passing second. Lo'ak, although apprehensive, swallowed a bit as he watched his friend swim into the Tulkun's mouth, placing his trust in him.

Ewluea, Neteyam, and Tsireya exchanged astonished glances from where they were amidst the seaweed. Their agitation grew as they witnessed Payakan's entry into the Tulkun's mouth.

Once Lo'ak was inside Payakan's mouth, he shut it closed as the teen span around startled feeling the movement.

Neteyam's stomach dropped watching this occur, eyes going wide as he went to move, and go save him, but Tsireya's gentle hands touched his forearms, and showed a firm stop signal with her hand.

From inside Payakan's massive mouth, it was pitch dark but the constellation of glowing dots scattered all over the top of his mouth, lit up the inside beautiful.

Lo'ak noticed that the purple glowing object in the middle of Payakan's mouth lit up more than the other things.

As the long slot opened up for him and Payakan's long, feathery queue emerged, he tilted his head in interest and swam closer to it.

The teen, realizing what his friend wanted and what this was, grabbed his braid and tied his queue to one of Payakan's treads. Lo'ak's pupils grew large as soon as they did connect, and he was recalling something from the past.

Inside the fogy memory, was seen Payakan and another Tulkun attempting to escape from the sky people boats, as the Tulkun close to Payakan had a few red floaty sacks on its balances.

It received yet another blow, which caused it to scream in agony and let some blood escape from the blow.

Under the water, many more sky people ships had entered and were attempting to kill and capture Tulkun.

On their ilus and directly attacking the Tulkun, some Metkayinas had joined the fight for survival. However, despite their larger numbers, they were unable to defeat the sky people's weapons.

Through the chaos of the fighting, one of the sky people's aircraft ended up blowing off Tulkun's fin with its weapons, causing many more surfed injuries. The Metkayinas and Tulkuns did not win, so they did not emerge victorious.

Due to this conflict with the sky people, Payakan gained the title of outcast Tulkun, lost his mother, and gained his fin. When the memory was finished, Lo'ak's eyes opened up and had a miserable articulation shown, as he gradually eliminates his line from Payakan's.