Chapter 9 - I want...

Moiraine and Lan are silly, and Moiraine has a request.

When the water turned cold, Lan urged Moiraine to leave the bathtub. Without Saidar, she couldn't heat the water again, and he didn't want her to catch a cold.

While Lan put on his underwear, his eyes moved over Moiraine's bare back. She was a beautiful woman – he had always known that – but now her sight scared him. She was barely anything more than skin and bones. Blood and ashes! He could count her ribs even from his position! Moiraine had always been thin but never like that. Lan had always made sure to feed her during their travels. It worried him what a few weeks without him by her side could do to her.

Moiraine pulled her nightgown over her head, covering her body from Lan's eyes. Then she pulled out the hairpins, letting her hair fall freely over her back. The Warder moved closer, and when she reached for a book on her nightstand, he covered her hand with his, pulling it to her belly while stepping behind her.

Chuckling, the Aes Sedai leaned in on him, enjoying the feeling of his strong body pressed against her. His free hand pushed her hair aside to reveal her neck, and he left light kisses on her skin, which made the woman in his arms sigh.

"You need sleep," he murmured against her skin.

"A good book always helps me to sleep."

"You mean it helps you to sleep after you have read a couple hours which means you ultimately have less sleep than intended."

Moiraine's laughter made a wave of joy and love roll through Lan's body. Light, he had missed hearing her voice. "And you think I get more sleep with what you're starting right now?"

The uncrowned king of Malkier froze, realizing she was right. His right hand still pressed her hand against her belly with their fingers intertwined, but his left hand caressed her free arm, and his lips couldn't get enough of her soft skin.

Heavy-heartedly, Lan lifted his head. Although there was nothing wrong with them bedding each other, they shouldn't do it – not tonight. "This would be a bad idea."

"You think?"

"Your sister made it very clear what she would do to me, should I... I think her exact words were, 'Use you to satisfy my needs'."

Smiling, Moiraine turned her head around. "Do you think Anvaere will visit in a few hours again to check if you're sleeping on the floor?"

Lan copied her smile, then turned her in his arms until she faced him. There was a dangerous glint in her eyes – almost like a challenge. But this must be a mistake. It was impossible that she...

Slowly, Lan leaned in on her, letting their breaths mingle. "Do you want me to sleep on the floor?" He was surprised at how seductive his voice sounded, reacting to her challenge.

The woman of the Blue Ajah reacted to his presence much stronger than he had expected. Her breathing turned shallow, she licked her dry lips, and her cheeks blushed.

"No." Her voice sounded pressed.

Lan leaned in a little bit closer. Light, what was he doing?! "Do you want me to kiss you?"

"Didn't you say Anvaere would-?"

Lan's mouth swallowed the rest of her words. His arms moved around her, pulling her close, groaning when Moiraine melted against him. He had wanted to give her a light kiss, but... Moiraine returned his kiss, and there was nothing hesitating about it.

Carefully, he pushed her backward to her bed. The contact lifted the cloud, which swirled around the Aes Sedai's head. What were they doing?! Growling at herself, she leaned her forehead against Lan's while bringing her mouth out of reach at the same time. "Anvaere," she said breathlessly. Light, this man knew how to kiss a woman. It was a good thing his arms were wrapped around her, or else her legs would've given in.