Chapter 14 - Nynaeve's herbs

Moiraine, Lan, and Anvaere return back to the house. What will they find?

Occasionally, Lan lost sight of Anvaere, but the oldest Damodred sister always returned when she noticed Lan had fallen behind again. He had slowed down after Moiraine had started to tremble in his arms. Her body was exhausted, and he could only hope she would stay awake until they reached Anvaere's house.

After what felt like an eternity, the stable came into sight. Carefully, the riders approached the house. Everything was quiet. Even the nervous horses had stopped neighing. But was that a good sign or a bad one? Where was Eliza? Was she still asleep, or had she been killed by Trollocs?

Lan heard drunken men in the distance, singing songs and laughing about their jokes. Apparently, there had been no attack on the village. Trollocs wouldn't have let them live if they had followed the Myrddraals.

Was it possible the six Eyeless had been alone? And what had been the purpose of their attack? Rand had killed the Dark One. Why should anyone send those creatures after Moiraine? And who could order the Shadowspawn now that the Dark One was no more?

"I don't hear anything," Anvaere whispered. She held her bow with an arrow nocked in for safety.

The uncrowned king of Malkier had let go of Mandarb's reins, guiding him only with the pressure of his thighs while having his free hand on the hilt of his sword. His eyes scanned their surroundings, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing was moving, and his bad feeling was gone. No, he was sure they had killed all the Eyeless. The danger was over.

Suddenly, the door of the stable opened with a bang, and a shadow exited. It held a bow in its hands. The sharp end of the arrow shimmered in the moonlight and was pointed at the riders.

Anvaere lifted her own bow at the same time when Lan drew his sword. Whoever dared to threaten them would get himself a fight.

"Don't move!" The shadow yelled.

The oldest Damodred sister released a relieved sigh and lowered her bow when she recognized the voice. "Eliza."

"Anvaere?"

Slowly, Lan lowered his sword and felt Moiraine relaxing in his arm. The danger was over, and they all had survived.

"Where have you been?!" Eliza wanted to know. "I was worried sick for you! The horses were out of control, there were three dead bodies in the stable, and you all were gone!" The old woman was clearly close to breaking out in tears.

Anvaere dismounted Aldieb, groaning, and Eliza rushed to her side worriedly. "Are you hurt? Do you need a Healer?"

Smiling, Anvaere hugged the other woman. "A few bruises and my head will probably keep me awake tonight. Did you get hurt?"

"Hurt by what? Except for the horses, there was no living being here."

Lan sheathed his sword, then ensured Moiraine would hold on to the saddle. "Don't let go. I dismount first, and then I help you."

"Understood," Moiraine whispered.

The uncrowned king of Malkier didn't like how weak she sounded. He dismounted, then pulled her down in his arms.

Moiraine's whimper caught Anvaere and Eliza's attention, and the two women joined the Aes Sedai and the Warder.

"What happened to her?" Eliza tried to get a better look at Moiraine, but it was impossible in the dark.

"She fought against a monster and got hurt," the oldest Damodred sister explained, stepping before Lan, who carried the injured woman. "Give her to me. We get her inside."