Chapter 26 - Soft touches and feelings

It is time for Moiraine and Lan to be whole again.

Moiraine and Lan walked back to the Aes Sedai's room in complete silence. After Siuan had finished the delving of her lover, the woman of the Blue Ajah had barely said a word. Lan had received a warning glare from the Amyrlin before she had hissed at him to look after his Aes Sedai. As if she needed to remind him of that!

The uncrowned king of Malkier wished they would finally reach Moiraine's room. The Cairhien woman had taken so many new corridors that the Warder was lost again. Were they getting closer or farther away from their destination? In Moiraine's condition, it was possible she used the longer way to sort her thoughts.

Suddenly, voices approached them, and the Aes Sedai froze. Lan strengthened his ears until he recognized one voice – King Galldrian! One look at Moiraine's face showed him she couldn't face the king in her condition. She needed rest.

Quickly, the Warder opened the door on their left and checked the room. It was one of the many guestrooms, but more importantly, empty. He grabbed the arm of his frozen Aes Sedai and pulled her behind the door before closing the wooden construct carefully.

Moiraine's breathing was shallow, like she wasn't getting enough air. Lan pulled the woman against him, then his arms wrapped around her, one hand stroking her hair comforting.

When Moiraine returned the hug, the Malkieri noticed she was trembling terribly. Calmly, he continued to rub soothingly over her hair and back and pressed a few kisses on top of her head.

"Where is she?!"

The Aes Sedai stiffened when she heard King Galldrian's angry voice outside the door, and her fingers dug painfully into Lan's back. Yet, the Warder didn't change their positions.

"This Aes Sedai said the Amyrlin sent this terrible woman back to her room, yet she isn't there! I thought an Aes Sedai can't lie!"

"Maybe she already left her room again, your Highness." Another man was with the king.

"I don't like having a Damodred wandering around in the palace! Who knows what she will do?! Find her!"

Moiraine and Lan stayed in the room until the Warder couldn't hear the voice of the angry king anymore. And even then, he waited before he carefully opened the door again. Nothing was heard.

"How far are we from your room?" Lan whispered.

The woman of the Blue Ajah shook her head. "We're almost there." Her voice was barely audible. "Two more corridors."

Relieved, the Malkieri nodded. "Come." He released the Cairhien woman but intertwined their fingers immediately to pull her after him. Moiraine was still trembling, and he didn't know how well she would follow without his encouragement.

They left the guestroom and headed down the corridor.

Moiraine had been right. Her room had been nearby, and they luckily didn't run into anyone else. Lan took one last scrutinizing look at the corridor before closing the door behind him. Then he grabbed the chair and placed it under the door handle. That way, no one could enter the room without their permission.

When the uncrowned king of Malkier turned around, he saw the Cairhien woman standing in front of her bed, calming herself. Light, he hated that place!

"Moiraine?" Startled, she turned around to face him.

Slowly, he approached her with his hands up in defense, giving her every chance to move away. But she didn't. Her eyes watched his every move, yet she didn't even flinch.