Chapter 7 - Family dinner

And the family dinner continues. Anvaere can be very nasty, and Moiraine is struggling.

Moiraine pushed a piece of potato back and forth on her plate. She wasn't hungry. And she was pissed. Usually, she was good at keeping her calm Aes Sedai mask in place, but Anvaere... maybe it was because she was her sister that it was harder to keep her calm. Or perhaps it was because the day had been exhausting with the chase through Cairhien, the anxious ride back to Anvaere's house, getting Lan back... Light, it still felt weird to think that. Lan was back! He was with her and had found a way to get around her order, still being her Warder.

"Is the food not to your liking, my lady?" Eliza asked after watching Moiraine for several minutes. "Do you prefer something else?"

The Aes Sedai didn't hear her. She was lost in her thoughts, blending out everything around her.

Anvaere frowned at the old woman for addressing her as 'my lady' until she realized Eliza spoke to her sister. Confused, she watched the piece of potato moving from one side to the other.

"My lady?" Eliza was surprised when Moiraine didn't react and continued with her doing. Had she spoken too quietly?

The uncrowned king of Malkier placed his hand on his Aes Sedai's arm, pulling her out of her thoughts.

Frowning, Moiraine turned her head to Lan. What had caught his attention? Did he want to leave?

"Eliza asked if you want something else." Lan's voice was calm, and she felt his thumb caressing her skin. Blood and ashes! She hadn't paid attention since Lan and Eliza had started taking over the conversation.

Moiraine forced a smile on her lips when she looked at the old woman. "Forgive me, Eliza. The food is delicious. I'm just not hungry."

"You haven't eaten much in the morning. You need to eat something. Or don't you feel well?"

The emotions of Eliza changed quicker than Moiraine had ever seen with anyone else. In one moment, she was angry because the Aes Sedai didn't eat anything, then was worried about Moiraine being sick.

Lan felt Anvaere staring, but when he looked at her, he noticed she stared at his hand on Moiraine's arm, frowning. Quickly, he pulled back. He didn't want to start another argument. Whatever she was thinking about him, she didn't like him being close to her sister.

When Moiraine's sister realized Lan had caught her staring, she grabbed her glass of wine, leaned back in her chair, and took a sip while she studied Lan's face.

The uncrowned king of Malkier thought about saying something but then sighed and took a sip of his ale which Eliza had organized for him. No matter what he said, Anvaere would probably see it as an attack.

"I'll be all right, Eliza. It had been a long day," Moiraine assured, chuckling.

Eliza wasn't convinced. Frustrated, she turned to Lan. "You're her Warder, right? Can't you do something to make her eat? I mean, look at her! No one should be that thin!"

Lan exchanged a glance with his Aes Sedai, who dared him to agree with Eliza, then shook his head. "Maybe we could take some fruits upstairs?"

"She needs to eat properly!"

"Please?"

"What do you know about the Damodred family?"

Everyone froze at Anvaere's words. There was no doubt about who she had addressed. Moiraine glared at her sister while Lan wet his lips before calmly meeting Anvaere's icy glare. "The Damodred family held the Sun Throne of Cairhien for decades. King Laman was the last Damodred sitting on the throne until the Aiel killed him during the Aiel War."