Chapter 16

Kellins POV:

After a long night of being analyzed by Doctor Byrd, I wanted nothing more than to never see him again, or anyone of the other people that were there last night for that matter. But I never seem to get what I want. So here I was, sitting in the back seat of my fathers car as him and my mother drove me to Dr. Byrd's office.

Last night I had been declared "stable" enough to stay at home, but under close observation by my parents, but today was screening. Today was when this man I had met last night was going to pick apart everything about my brain, to find out what's truly wrong with me. And don't get it twisted, I always figured that there was something, I just never wanted confirmation of it.

As we made our way across town, I looked out the car window and was sort of grateful for me being able to miss school today. Yesterday I had been a total dick to Vic, and I know it, but I couldn't control myself. With all this shit going on I wasn't in the mood to talk to him, and I can admit that I treated him unfairly and some of my anger came out as me yelling at him, but he didn't deserve that. He really didn't.

I slumped down in my seat.

I'm such a shitty person.

I felt the car come to a stop and I looked around taking in my surroundings. I guess I had expected like, a doctors office or hospital or something, so it took me by a slight surprise that we were at a building that looked like every other building around it.

The walk up to the building was probably the worst part so far, because unlike the car ride of deadly silence, this time my parents continued to look back at me, checking on me constantly, to make sure I wouldn't ditch out or jump in front of a car, I guess.

When we entered the building, it had similar features to a doctors office, only much smaller.

I picked up my head to look at something other than my beaten old toms and the ugly carpeting to see Doctor Byrd standing there waiting.

"Kellin," he spoke in a very soothing tone that didn't match the deepness of his voice, "how are you feeling today?"

I shrugged in response, not really feeling like talking.

"Well, ok." He looked to my parents and smiled, their tired eyes struggling to continue to even remain in contact with his. "You two can wait out here," he gestured towards the chairs, "And there's some coffee on the pot through that door, you guys look like you need it. Now Kellin, lets head to my office." I blindly followed him down a corridor till we reached a door that held the placard with his name.

We entered and he gestured me towards the seats in front of the desk.

"There's nothing wrong with me, you know," I lied.

"Now Kellin, nobody says there is, but based on what you told me last night, there are some tests we need to run. Just to make sure," he stated politely.

I huffed and sunk down into the chair. "Whatever."

Dr. Byrd sorted through some papers on his desk and the seemingly endless questions began.

***

"Ok Kellin, that about does it for now, I'll be back in a few minutes. You just sit tight." And with that he walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.