26: Stray Kids: Changbin

The past week has been hell. It started off with me feeling utterly alone at uni. I was breaking down before my eyes, trying to keep up with the endless amount of homework and schedules. I was taking care of myself barely and trying my best to fully take care of my pup, Mario. He's a doberman who is my emotional support animal. I got him after some family issues happened.

Bringing him with me was the best thing I could've done to prepare myself for this semester. He gets me out of the apartment. He allows me to meet new people when they stop to pet him.

The past week, I didn't have him with me. I was working the entire weekend, so my parents came to get him so he wouldn't be stuck inside for too long. I'd do anything for him. He's my responsibility, and I'm not going to be a bad dog owner.

But that week was when I cracked. I went to a party and got fucked up. Instead of staying with my friend, I walked 10 minutes home while stumbling and not fully knowing where I was.

I tried calling Chan as I walked home, but he didn't pick up. So I called Minho, my best friend, so I'd have someone to keep me grounded as I got home. Minho called me stupid, of course. I shouldn't have gone home in that state. But he made sure I made it home. Otherwise, he told me he'd make the hour drive to come get me.

After that night, it just got worse. I wasn't doing great. I wanted to get fucked up again, but my friend and boyfriend wouldn't let me. It was a good idea. I had a manic episode two days after.

The day I was supposed to get Mario back, my parents couldn't come up. So they'd drop him off a day later than expected. Sure, it was nice sleeping in and not having to walk outside in the wind, but I felt even more alone.

That was the day Chan had to come up. He didn't have to, but he said he did because I was spiraling. When he got there, I finally had the breakdown I was waiting for. The one with tears and snot and puffy eyes. I had been trying so hard to have one, but I just couldn't cry. My body refused even though it was too full.

He just held me as I sobbed. My roommate knocked on the door only once to see what was going on. I hadn't noticed, but Chan waved them off and said he had it handled.

I woke up sore the next day.

And now, as I sit alone on the bench, I felt a weight lift off of my shoulders. It's been a week since then. I watch as Mario runs through the dog park, collecting dirt on his fur. I lean back, letting the sun warm my skin. It was still chilly out, but it was one of the first days the sun had been out. It was nice. Healing.

I whistle, showing the water bowl to Mario as he comes full speed toward me.

What a good boy.