Chapter 2: Code Red.

🎼

"Baby, it's yours, all yours, if you want it tonight.

I'll give you the red light special all through the night.

Baby, it's yours, all yours, if you want it tonight.

Come through my door, take off my clothes and turn on the red light."

~

~

~

Tour Day 2

We arrive in Amsterdam early in the morning, pass through customs and collect our luggage. Can you imagine our excitement? This is our first international trip together. Well, for me, it's the first outside of SADC.

As we walk to our semi-home for the 16 days, that is, the in-between countries shuttle services, Nkele and I ask the 4 ladies who are part of our booking group to mind our bags because we have spotted Victoria's Secret. We watch the E! channel, so we must own something, even if it's just a G-string.

We walk in and look around a bit. Every time we pick an item, we calculate the exchange rate and say "Nice". Tail tucked neatly in our hoezit, we walk back to our bags. The girls excitedly ask what we bought.

Me: "There is a set on sale that I wanted, but I didn't find my size."

Nkele: " Guys, as you can see, my big boobs, I couldn't find the right size, and we have limited time."

Girl 1: "I thought I would go check it out too, but I have Nkele's problem, and the bus is here."

The bus arrived in our absence, and we swallow our lies and humiliation and then push our luggage onto the bus.

Tour guide: "You two almost hitchhiked to the hotel."

We smile, get in, take a seat and pass the hell out. We are probably going to hell for lying to those unsuspecting girls, but every Victoria has their secret, right?

We are woken up when we get to the Hotel for the first 2 nights. It's called the Lake Land Hotel. It isn't a paradise, but the rooms are neat and clean.

We have an hour to get ready before we head to the Dutch countryside, Zaanse Schans Windmill Village and the beautiful Harbour Village of Volendam.

Did someone say free Wifi? We take turns taking a shower, and whoever is waiting sends BBM texts home to announce that we have arrived safely.

Trust black families and friends to remind you to bring a souvenir. Like Seriously?! Aren't souvenirs meant for me to remember the trip, not to spend my little pocket money buying trinkets for other people? Haaaiii.

Our tour starts with learning how traditional clogs (wooden shoes or klompe) are made, and then we taste some of the famous Edam cheese. I am in heaven. Lactose intolerant or not, cheese is my weakness.

While roaming around the souvenir shop, I found 3 items of interest, i.e. a Holland's beer opener, a funky Cannabis t-shirt for Langa and a cute, colourful pair of Holland's socks for my bestie Rochè. She is sock crazy, and I don't understand the obsession, but to each their own.

Langa best have fed Liz, or I'm keeping this t-shirt for myself. No jokes. Three more gifts, and I'm done with the anticipating black people.

We return to our hotel for a quick early supper, and then it's time to enter Amsterdam for a guided tour of the infamous Red Light District. We get dropped off by our shuttle and advised that it would be back at 8:30 pm to collect us.