every day is the first day

The biggest problem Carl had with the way things were now was that he could never remember where he was sitting.

He would leave his desk to go to the kitchen or the bathroom, and then not remember where he had been sitting. He would roam the aisles between the cubes, trying to remember where he was supposed to be.

Initially he had assumed he could just book his old desk each time he came in. But his old desk was on the side of the office that overlooked a park, and everyone wanted to sit in that area. Every time Carl tried to book his own desk using the fancy desk-booking app the company was forcing them to use, he found that his desk was either already reserved or unavailable.

One time Carl asked Sam, the last IT person left, why he could never sit in the same place twice, and Sam told him that the booking system tried to spread people out evenly, and made desks available based on that. He said that while people had tried to game the system by reserving the same desk weeks in advance, the app had "been corrected" to only allow same-day bookings.

And so Carl resigned himself to always being lost in the office, never knowing where he or anyone else was sitting, trapped in a perpetual first day of work.