replaceable things

"I don't see why we can't book a desk and then sit wherever we want," Alison said as she rummaged through the box of adaptors at Sam's desk.

"I wouldn't do it," Sam said. "The company won't be responsible for any equipment left at a station you aren't assigned to."

"Does that mean that it won't end up in the lost and found?" Carl asked. He was waiting for Alison to be done looking for her adaptor so that he could look for the one he had lost the week before.

"Nah, it'll still end up here," Sam said. "But let's say you forget your laptop at a desk that you weren't assigned to, then you're on the hook if it gets stolen."

"That's stupid," Alison said, still looking through the box of adaptors. "The laptop would still be in the office. It's not like it would be in our car and our car got stolen." She paused and looked up. "What does happen if our car gets stolen with our laptop in it?"

"You get let go," Sam said. "You're not supposed to leave it unattended."

"What about if it's at home and I go out for groceries and I come back and my house has been robbed and it's been stolen?" Alison asked. "Then what?"

"Same thing," Sam said. "Dino had a car accident over the pandemic and lost his company phone. They fired him. I think they even threatened to sue him. I don't know. I only heard about it from Angie. She was here when his wife brought back his laptop. Apparently she was pissed."

"Yeah, I'd be pissed too," Alison said. "I can't find my adaptor."

"Take any adaptor," Sam said. "Just bring it back at the end of the day. Same thing for you Carl. Just take any adaptor that works. No one will notice."