the social system has collapsed

There was no reply to Carl's bathroom notepad message on Monday, and there hadn't been one on Wednesday.

This meant that whomever it was on the other side of the notepad either hadn't been in for the past week, or had been too busy to write a reply.

Carl had no way of knowing who outside his own team had or had not been in. He thought about asking Sam, but Sam wasn't helpful about these things.

Kevin had started coming in three days a week, and Carl decided to ask him.

"Who was off last week?" Kevin said. "I don't know. I know Lee and Tammy were both off on Thursday because I needed them both and neither of them was around, but no one seemed to be missing on Tuesday. No one I know and see, anyways."

"Thanks," Carl said. He was staring at people go in and out of the Sandwich Select across the street. "I feel like none of us know what's happening with each other anymore."

"Tell me about it," Kevin said. "I only found out last Thursday that Ashley was going on mat leave next week. I didn't even know she was pregnant!"

"Neither did I!" Carl exclaimed.

"Right?" Kevin answered back. "In the old days there would have been a shower for her, or at least a card. But now? Nothing. Our whole social system has fallen apart and I don't think the company wants us to get it back, no matter what they say."