CCXVI Selene: Right-hand

Trigger Warning: 

- mention of sexual assault

- violation of every code in the lab manual

_________________________________________________________

The door closes.

And with it, my last chance to convince Shouto to stay.

He won't even realize all the other avenues that he has opened, too.

Today Shouto gave me the most chilling news I could have not ever conjured in my nightmares. The heroes are going to attack. Instead of waiting for the villains to strike first, they have decided to make the first move.

How could I have not noticed? Spy for the Paranormal Liberation Army, and right under my nose the heroes colluded to bring down the villains for good. How long were they planning this? I had hoped that the Hanada murders would have been enough to distract the heroes long enough until the Army was ready. Then the sexual assault attempts should have kept the teachers busy with the expulsion process. Finally, the upcoming court trials were supposed to rattle the hero industry to its core. I underestimated the heroes. All my efforts were for naught. Despite living under their roof, I failed to learn their plans.

Shame on me. For what I did and for what I will do.

Because in a few hours a war will begin. The bloodiest yet. Like wolves we will attack until the other is annihilated. And I will fight on the side of the villains. It means my classmates will be the enemy instead of the ally. It means I must confront Shouto on the opposite end of the battlefield.

True, I had never considered the students of Class 1-A to be an ally. I had hardly spoken to them, let alone befriend them. All in respect to my fear of someone inadvertently learning about the abuse and my allegiance with the League of Villains. Perhaps it is truly disgusting of me to isolate only one student out of the lot because of what that person means to me. I'm despicable. I know it. And after what I am about to do, there will be no redemption for me.

So I swallow long and hard, furiously wipe my tears. Thrust all emotions into a mental box with a lock. I sneak out of Shouto's room and go into mine. The luxury of time is nonexistent right now. I have to hurry and warn my comrades of what is coming. If it means sacrificing the entirety of my morning routine, so be it. Part of me marvels at the speed at which I divest myself of the nightgown and wear my hero costume. Maybe the psychologists are right: stress can improve efficiency.

Villa or hospital? Villa or hospital? Who should I warn first? Forgoing the flowers and chignon, I tie my hair up. Having long hair exposed is going to pose an issue, but that's something I'll just have to figure out later. There are more pressing matters right now. Shigaraki and Daruma-san are at the hospital. The centerpiece of the Army's scheme is Shigaraki, and he's still inside the tank. Only Daruma-san can ensure his safety. Bloody saints of hell and their disciples! Couldn't the heroes have waited another two weeks before launching their ambush? But since Shigaraki has been comatose, I've been taking orders from Yotsubashi-san. He's at the villa. So is the rest of the League and Army.

A blow to either area is fatal to our organization. The heroes are charging for both. I find myself almost laughing at my situation. I have boundless power, but I can only choose one to save. Oh, the irony! By the time I don my mask and watch, I have already weighed the advantages and disadvantages of going to either party.

All that is remaining are three weapons. The cane with a concealed katana. The knives laced with golden viper venom. And the inhaler that amplifies my abilities exponentially for a short time. The aftereffects are utter hell. This is war, though. The price for usefulness must be paid. Without waiting a moment more to steel my resolve, I inhale every last bit of material in it.