Chapter 8. Falsification diets

What we explore: How are diets used for undue gain?

What's new: What source of energy will lead us to the desired diet?

What we'll learn: How to become a diet expert?

1. Of the many diets and health products out there, the most cynical are probably those that claim to help you lose weight. With promises of quick weight loss, many desperate and disillusioned people are lured into testing useless products. (Dan Larhammar. 2005) [1].

2. This word [diet, ed., author] has become attached to all sorts of pseudo-recommendations on nutrition, which are replete with newspapers and magazines, citing numerous interviews with movie and pop stars, in articles by healers and charlatans speculating [receiving undue economic benefits, ed., author] on the natural desire of people to be healthy (Petrov O.Yu., Aleksandrov Yu.A. 2008)[2].

3. Fast weight loss. Mass media, websites, social networks, and other communication networks are trying to "break" our ability to think with tempting articles, photos, and videos about solving the problem of obesity in one fell swoop: "Famous miracle diets promote rapid weight loss, usually more than 5 kg per month, without any effort." (Sumalla Cano, S., et al. 2009) [3]. Unfortunately, even medical institutions resort to falsifying diets for financial gain, such as the prestigious Mayo Clinic in the USA (ibid.). The main manipulative technique here is sensational headlines and examples of stars, which greatly influence our innermost feelings:

• About nutrition: "correct", "rational", "intuitive", etc.

• About food: "How to eat everything and not get fat", "eat everything and lose weight", "eat, read and lose weight", etc.

• About losing weight without dieting: "How to lose weight without dieting", "losing weight quickly without dieting", "how to eat fast food and lose weight", etc.

• About diets without much effort: "lazy diet", "simple diet".

• About diets for quick weight loss: "effective diets in a short time - 5 days, 7 days, 14 days or one month," etc.

• About the diets of stars: Megan Fox (paleo diet), Kim Kardashian (Atkins diet), Victoria Beckham (alkaline diet), Beyoncé (22 days of vegetarianism), etc.

What do fake diets have in common or what is the essence of miracle diets?

4. The essence of miracle diets. Someone is inclined to believe this or follow someone else's examples - this is his right to choose. What do studies say about the right to choose miracle diets? Research shows that this choice is not wise: "According to Spain, 80% of overweight or obese people do not seek professional advice on how to lose weight. ... The rest look to these miracle diets for solutions" (Sumalla Cano, S., et al. 2009) [3]. The essence of miracle diets always comes down to various kinds of restrictions in the number of calories, the consumption of certain foods and restrictions in the composition of nutrients (Fr. 7. 1). What are the long-term effects of miracle diets? Consider the results of believing in miracle diets.

5. Results of miracle diets. What economic costs have people who believed in miracle diets experienced?: "According to the US Federal Trade Commission, miracle diets, along with foreign lotteries, top the list of the most common scams in the United States. According to them, 13.5% of the adult population This country was the victim of 48.7 million diet and health product scams in one year, and a total of 4.8 million people were affected by weight loss scams in the same period" (ibid.). Now, let's think about "miraculous" changes. If everything were so simple, quick, effortless and healthy, then everyone would long ago be slim, young, healthy and beautiful. Show me at least one person who refuses this. But what costs appeared over time among people who became interested in miracle diets?