Chapter 36. See the whole picture

What we are researching: What is the relationship between personality traits and unhealthy weight?

What's New: What Causes Unhealthy Weight?

What we will learn: What will help us see the whole picture of unhealthy weight?

1. Personality traits * [individual traits, ed. author] which reflect our characteristic ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving, contribute to abnormal [abnormal, ed., author] weight and weight gain (Sutin A.R. et al. 2013) [1].

* Let us make an allowance for the fact that the science of personality psychology does not know the differences between the concepts of "personality" and "individual" (fr. 18.7).

2. Personality and unhealthy weight. Personality psychology expert Professor Angelina Sutin and her colleagues examined the relationship between personality traits and weight changes. This connection has been studied throughout adult life in both men and women. The authors claim that this is the first longitudinal study. It is aimed at identifying the relationship between personality and weight fluctuations over time. Most previous studies have been cross-sectional. This means that each patient was examined only once during the study. The authors used a comprehensive approach in which the relationship between personality and weight was examined both cross-sectionally and longitudinally.

3. Comprehensive research. The longitudinal studies included four groups. The first group was underweight. The second is an eating disorder. The third is overweight. The fourth is obese. To compare the results, a control group of volunteers with a weight that is considered normal was recruited. The participants in the study were mainly volunteers with higher education, generally healthy at the start of the research, and an equal number of men and women. The observation was carried out for more than 50 years, during which the body and personality traits were repeatedly assessed [2].

4. Body assessment. Included measurements of height, weight, waist circumference, hips, and body fat depending on the thickness of the skin fold. BMI indicators based on international standards were used to define underweight (BMI<18.5), normal weight (BMI<25), overweight (BMI=25–30), and obesity (BMI≥30) [ 3].

5. Assessment of personality traits. Personality traits were assessed using the NEO Personality Inventory-Revised (NEO-PI-R)*. In this study, the mean age of participants at baseline was 56.98 (range, 19 to 96) and at follow-up was 60.61 (range, 20 to 96).

* NEO (NEO-PI-R) is a revised FFM (Five Factor Model) personality questionnaire, designed to provide a detailed description of personality that is used by various professionals. The NEO-PI-R is a short measure of the five core personality factors (Big Five): neuroticism, extraversion, openness to experience, agreeableness, and conscientiousness, and the six traits or facets that define each of these five factors. Taken together, the NEO-PI-R consists of 240 questions for a comprehensive and detailed assessment of normal adult personality [4].

6. Availability of evidence. The reliability of the research results was ensured by: the duration of the study (more than 50 years); a large number of participants (1988 people); four different ways to measure your body instead of just one - BMI (BMI, hip circumference, waist circumference and body fat). The number of body measurements taken in adulthood (14,531) allowed testing of the hypothesized association between personality traits and levels of obesity, as well as variations in body mass index (BMI) [2]. Have underweight, eating disorders, overweight, and morbid obesity (hereinafter referred to as unhealthy weight) been associated with personality traits?

7. Unhealthy weight and personality traits. As a result of more than 50 years of research based on body assessment and personality traits, this connection has been discovered and proven. Of course, many factors contribute to the occurrence of unhealthy weight, including demographic variables (gender, age, ethnicity, education), socioeconomic status, and genetic predisposition. However, the conclusion of these long-term studies was: