Chapter 2. The market for bestselling nutrition books.

What we explore: What does a review and analysis of best-selling diet books show?

What's new: What information do the 100 bestselling nutrition books contain?

What we'll learn: Why do bestsellers misinform and contradict each other?

1. Before continuing the book about diets, I see the need to show the situation that has developed in the market for books about diets and the difference between my book and many others. (Author).

2. What does the market for best-selling nutrition books offer? Someone wants to buy a branded item. But he knows that there are many fakes of it. Isn't it wise to first check whether it matches the brand? Same with diet books. There are many fakes because their content does not correspond to the stated benefits. John P.A. Ioannidis, an American physician-scientist, author, and professor at Stanford University, who studies the scientific research itself along with his colleagues, conducted a review and analysis of the diet book market.Their joint study of 100 best-sellers was published in the scientific article "Science, advocacy, and quackery in nutritional books: an analysis of conflicting advice and purported claims of nutritional best-sellers." (Marton, R.M., Wang, X., Barabási, A.L. et al. 2020). [1]. What conclusion did these scientists reach?

"In all, our assessment of the summaries of best-selling books on nutrition shows that they may provide information or misinformation about very important matters and they are a heterogeneous mix." (Ibid.).

3. Why is there so much misinformation and contradiction in best-selling books? They believe that these books contain claims that have no scientific basis. What then is behind the statements of the authors who misinform the general public who want to lose weight?

"Other authors are also selling products to accompany their diet books, including Haylie Pomroy's shakes, bars and cleanses and Pierre Dukan's diet foods and supplements." (Ibid.).

Of course, there is nothing wrong with receiving compensation for your writing. But when the main motive becomes the goal of making money, then the book becomes an advertisement for their products, rather than helping suffering people.

4. Summary. A review and analysis of the diet book market conducted by a group of American experts revealed many fakes due to false information that misleads readers.

Next Chapter: Uniqueness and features of the book

What we are researching: What method do authors of Non-Fiction books use and what is its essence?

What's new: Which method do I use and what is its advantage?

What we will learn: How to identify a reliable source of knowledge?

References

1. Marton, R.M., Wang, X., Barabási, AL. et al. Science, advocacy, and quackery in nutritional books: an analysis of conflicting advice and purported claims of nutritional best-sellers. Palgrave Commun 6, 43 (2020).