Chapter 9. Therapeutic diet

What we are researching: What is the role of a therapeutic diet?

What's new: When are therapeutic diets used?

What we will learn: What is a balanced approach to treating a patient?

1. The highest law of medicine is to strictly follow the diet. The treatment will be bad if you forget about the diet while treating. How much, when, why, where, how often and what is applicable - all this should be prescribed by the doctor prescribing the diet (Arnold of Villanova. Salerno Health Code. 1970) * [1].

2. It [therapeutic diet, ed., author] depends on the patient's condition, the stage of the disease, the severity of the pathological process, including from the digestive organs, the patient's regimen, and individual nutritional characteristics. Medical nutrition has taken one of the main positions in the complex therapy of the patient (Tutelyan V.A., et al. 2010) [3].

*The Code of Health of Salerno (13th-14th centuries) is a medieval source of medico-philosophical texts published in the 15th century. He contributed to the development of bioethical views on sanitation, gerontology, dietetics, pharmaceuticals, disease prevention, philosophy of medicine and much more [2]. Arnold of Villanova (1235-1311) was one of the most famous physicians of the Middle Ages. The medical school of Salerno (Italy), also known as the Hippocratic community, existed until the early 19th century.

 The medical school of Salerno (Italy), also known as the Hippocratic community, existed until the early 19th century

3. The role of diet. Just as this was understood in the Middle Ages, today doctors understand the important role of diet in a comprehensive approach to the treatment of diseases - "the treatment will be bad if you forget about the diet while treating." [1]. In fact, as we have already found out earlier, one of the causes of obesity and non-communicable diseases may be the consumption of refined and ultra-processed foods (fr. 6. 6, 9). However, for various reasons, not all doctors adhere to the Salerno Health Code principle of prescribing diet during treatment. However, we have good reasons, based on scientific research, to follow a therapeutic diet. One of the reasons is pointed out by Viktor Tutelyan, Doctor of Medical Sciences, a Russian nutrition expert, saying that therapeutic nutrition should be one of the "main positions in the complex therapy of the patient" [3].

4. Diet as part of treatment. As we see from the statements of scientists in the field of medicine, a balanced approach is important for treatment. It lies in the fact that neither diet nor other treatment methods that are necessary to treat the patient should be neglected. In other words, treating eating disorders, morbid obesity (the highest level of obesity), and noncommunicable diseases requires the help of both the patient's primary care physician and a registered dietitian. Usually, after a diagnosis has been established and a treatment plan has been approved by the patient's doctor or nutritionist, a therapeutic diet is developed depending on "the patient's condition, the stage of the disease, the severity of the pathological process, including the digestive organs, the patient's regimen, and individual nutritional characteristics." [3, 4]. A therapeutic diet is usually used from the very beginning of treatment in a hospital or outpatient setting. It may be temporary while the person is recovering, but sometimes it may be recommended on an ongoing basis to maintain the level of health previously achieved through treatment.