Chapter 31. Bariatrics: the effectiveness of the duodenal switch

What we are researching: What is the effectiveness of the duodenal switch?

What's new: How does the domino effect occur on the duodenal switch?

What we'll learn: How can cost accounting help you make wise choices?

1. A state of despair sets in. Obese adults and parents of obese children and adolescents are grasping at straws as a last resort for obesity treatment (Author).

2. Although DS [duodenal switch, ed. author] was associated with superior weight loss and control of comorbidities, and had a higher early risk profile, including higher rates of early reoperation, postoperative infections, and anastomotic leaks (Nelson DW, Blair KS, Martin MJ . 2012)[1].

3. Grasping at straws. Bariatrics are recommended by modern medicine when other methods of treating obesity have been ineffective [2]. What are bariatrics? According to the MSD Handbook, "bariatric surgery is the surgical modification of the stomach, intestines, or both to cause weight loss."* Indications for bariatrics (hereinafter referred to as bariatric surgery) may include patients with morbid obesity. Morbid obesity is diagnosed in patients with a BMI˃40 kg/m ² or a BMI>35 kg/m ² with severe complications of concomitant diseases. For morbidly obese patients, bariatric surgery is currently considered the only treatment for obesity [3]. But what are the possibilities of bariatric surgery in the treatment of morbid obesity?

* MSD Manuals - first published in 1899 and now known as "MSD Manuals" outside the United States and Canada, are one of the most widely used medical reference resources and are one of the most widely used health information resources worldwide. Bariatric Surgery - Nutritional Disorders - MSD Manual Professional Edition. https://www.msdmanuals.com/professional/nutritional-disorders/obesity-and-the-metabolic-syndrome/bariatric-surgery

4. Possibilities of bariatric surgery. ASMBS * estimates that approximately 199,000 metabolic and bariatric surgeries were performed in the United States alone in 2020. However, according to their experts, this is approximately 1% of all patients eligible for bariatric surgery. In other words, almost 20 million people with morbid obesity require treatment [4]. They still have to make choices that will affect their mood, self-esteem, body image, quality of life, and most importantly, their health and longevity. Let's start with health, without which everything else loses its meaning. The best way to achieve this, according to ASMBS experts, is significant weight loss through bariatric surgery. They believe that losing weight inevitably leads to "the improvement, prevention, or resolution of many comorbidities, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, sleep apnea, and some cancers." ** This optimistic attitude among bariatric surgery physicians must be balanced with the limits of reductionism in surgical practice. These limits manifest themselves in serious side effects.

* ASMBS – American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS – American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery) is the largest national society in this specialty. The Society's vision is to improve public health and well-being by reducing the burden of obesity and related diseases worldwide. https://asmbs.org/about

** ASMBS Official Website/Resources/Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery: https://asmbs.org/resources/metabolic-and-bariatric-surgery

5. Limits in surgical practice. Reductionism in bariatric surgery does not allow us to see a holistic picture of the complex interaction of the central nervous system, stomach, and intestines with its microbiome, the process of nutrient absorption, nervous and hormonal signals of the stomach and intestines that regulate the feeling of hunger, appetite, and satiety. By disrupting the individual anatomy of the stomach and intestines, doctors make profound changes in the physiology of the gastrointestinal tract, the structure of which, according to scientists, has not been fully studied [5, 6]. Despite fragmented understanding and risks, bariatric surgery is in demand. What types of bariatric surgeries are most common?