chapter 20: bianca

After the vast darkness of night spread across the sky, they started their summons.

They were at a twenty-foot-long pit in front of the septic tank, which was bright yellow with a smiley face and red words painted on the side: Happy Flush Disposal Co.

It fit the theme of tonight really well, that's for sure.

The moon was full. Silver clouds drifted across the sky.

"Minos should be here by now," Nico said, a small frown on his face. "It's full dark."

"Maybe he got lost," Percy said hopefully.

She gave him a small smile despite what was going on at the moment. "Me personally, let's keep it that way."

Annabeth snorted. "Guys, please be serious for once. Nico, ignore them."

Nico shook his head with the ghost of a grin on his face as he poured root beer into the pit. Then he tossed barbecue and began chanting in Ancient Greek—exactly like the night they summoned Daedalus.

Immediately, the bugs in the woods stopped chirping.

"Make him stop," Tyson whispered to Percy.

Part of Hoa agreed. This felt unnatural and different from the Daedalus summons. The night air felt cold and menacing, but before Hoa could say anything, the first spirits appeared.

Well, too late to turn back now.

Sulfurous mist seeped out of the ground. Shadows thickened into human forms. One blue shade drifted to the edge of the pit and knelt to drink.

"No!" she shouted, realizing who the ghost was.

"Stop him!" Nico followed, momentarily breaking his chant. "Only Bianca may drink!"

Percy drew Riptide as Hoa took out lóng hăng hái. The ghosts retreated with a collective hiss at the sight of their celestial bronze blades. But it was too late to stop the first spirit.

Why did the fucking dickhead ghost have to be the one to drink?

He had already solidified into the shape of a bearded man in white robes. A circlet of gold wreathed his head, and even in death his eyes were alive with malice.

"Minos!" Nico said. "What are you doing?"

"My apologies, master," the ghost said.

Nah, he ain't sorry, Hoa thought.

"The sacrifice smelled so good, I couldn't resist." He examined his own hands and smiled. "It is good to see myself again. Almost in solid form—"

"You are disrupting the ritual!" Nico protested. "Get—"

The spirits of the dead began shimmering dangerously bright, and Nico had to take up the chant again to keep them at bay.

"Yes, quite right, master," Minos said with amusement. "You keep chanting. I've only come to protect you from these liars who would deceive you."

Hoa rolled her eyes. "Like you aren't deceiving us now. Respectfully, get the hell out of here. Nobody cares about your solid form. That's normal for us, because we're, you know, alive."

Minos turned to her like she was some lab rat. "Hoa Pham... I see. The children of Deimos are always interesting to toy with."

She pointed to him. "See? Deception."

He narrowed his eyes at Hoa and then turned to Percy as if he were some kind of cockroach. "Percy Jackson... my, my. The sons of Poseidon haven't improved over the centuries, have they?"