Tankhun

My mind kept flitting back to Ken and his apology. But I figured he was probably doing it because he was put up to it. So I didn't want to give it too much attention.

The next day, I was to go for my medical appointment. I went out to my car and sat in the passenger seat, barking at Arm to drive whilst looking at my phone.

He took off, and we soon reached the hospital. I finally turned to look at him to issue some instructions when I realized it was Ken!

"What! What are you doing here?! Where's Arm!"

Ken just looked at me and said, "Kinn changed your protection detail. I will be with you moving forth."

I stared dumbfounded at him. What?! I shook my head no, insisting I didn't want him. I was about to call Kinn when Ken grabbed my phone.

"It's ok. I know Kinn must have put you up to this. I will settle this now." I then got out of the car after grabbing my phone back. I dialled Kinn's number bit before I could press the call button, Ken came over and swiped the phone out of my hands!

"What are you doing?! Are you crazy?!"

"I can ask you the same thing! What are you doing? I came to you, and you thought Kinn put me up to it. I apologise to you. You must have thought Kinn put me up to it. I want to be your protection detail. You think Kinn put me up to it! Why can't you think that maybe I want this too?! I want to be the one protecting you. Instead of letting anyone else do it!"

I fell silent, looking at the ground. I finally looked at Ken, my eyes glimmering. I muttered softly, "Because it has been a very long while since anyone did anything for me willingly. And I find it harder to believe it's from you when you had just put me down for being attention seeking over a week ago. What changed?"

"I did. Once I realized what an idiot I was. I realized I never tried to know you and jumped to conclusions. When I realized my mistake, I just wanted to make amends for it. Then the bar happened. And I realized I just want to protect you. Be there for you. I'm sorry, Tankhun. I'm really am. Nobody put me up to it. Please believe me."

I kept quiet. I was honestly stunned. I genuinely didn't have anyone looking out for me out of their own accord in a long while.

I looked at Ken and muttered, "I am going for my blood test and check-up. Just wait here for me, ok? I will be right out."

Ken nodded and finally broke out into a tiny smile. I couldn't help it. A smile broke out on my own face as I walked away. I was finally done about an hour later. I came out to find Ken waiting for me with a juice in hand. He passed it to me and opened the car door. I slipped in, and he came around. He put on my seat belt for me before putting on his and turned to check on me.

"Was everything ok?" I nodded. He smiled at me, and we took off. The ride was silent again, but this time, it was a comfortable silence.

We got back to the Manor, and my father wanted to see me. I sighed as I went off. I wasn't actively involved in the business, but from time to time, he would seek my help. I spoke to him and then got Ken to get the jeep. I had somewhere to go. I changed into a more comfortable outfit, grabbed my gun, and met Ken outside. I asked for the keys. Ken offered to follow me, but I stopped him. The only rule I had for my dad was that when I helped him in the business, I did it alone.

I didn't want anyone with me as I didn't want anyone seeing just exactly how good I was. I was good at what I did, and I always got the desired result, but it had to be on my terms.

I could see Ken was reluctant about letting me go alone, but I assured him I had it. I came back hours later, bruised, but I had what my dad wanted. He smiled at me, and I just nodded, going towards my room. I found Ken waiting outside.

"Are you ok?! Why are you hurt so badly?"

"I am not. Just get me some painkillers, and I will be fine. Ask the help to prepare a meal too. Thanks."

I went into my room. Ken came back half an hour later with what I wanted, and I just took it from him, thanking him.

He hovered at the entrance. I finally sighed and beckoned him in. I went to get a shower and came out to him sitting there quietly, waiting for me. I sat down, my kimono top flowing out around me. Ken watched as I ate. Once I was done, he gave me my painkillers. I popped two and was about to help myself to a glass of champagne when he stopped me.

"You just had medication. You can't have alcohol now. Please."

I rolled my eyes but didn't get a glass. Inwardly, I was just happy that Ken was paying attention to me but a part of me was also wary that he was just doing it because I was his boss. But it was still a nice feeling to be cared for.

I switched on my shows and told Ken he could leave. I was fine and if I needed anything, I would call him. He nodded his head. He stood up to go but before doing so, he turned to look at me.

I didn't tell him but from my peripheral view, I could see him and it was softening me bit by bit, knowing that maybe finally, I had someone who just cares about me.