Chapter 6

"The world tries to paint a picture of black and white, you know male and female." Mr. Roberts, my history teacher said. "See what I'm trying to say is, is that we are all different."

"We're going to be learning about segregation." He adds with his monotone voice.

"What does segregation have to do with that quote?" Some girl from the back of the class asked.

"Nothing, I just like that quote." Mr. Roberts said and the class laughed, including me, well, I chuckled. Sometimes he's funny and most times he's not funny.

Apparently we are going to have a pop quiz tomorrow because we didn't pay attention very well and I have to take credit for five percent of that because I was only paying attention to the 'important' things.

After class I went to my locker and dropped off my things and went to go downstairs to the cafeteria.

"Hey wait up!" Some one said as they were trying to catch up with me. I looked back around to see C.J running towards me and stopping in front of me, making me flinch.

"Can I walk to lunch with you?" He asked in between breaths, trying to catch his breath.

"Sure" I said and we walked to lunch silently. I walked over to my lunch table, where I have been sitting ever since the first day. It's my table and I don't know what I would do if it was taken by someone else.

I sat down in my spot, which is directly across from Alex and Charlie. We have an eight seated table and only three people sit there, four including C.J.

"Hey what's up?" Charlie asked me questionably.

"Nothing much." I said as C.J sat down next to me.

"Fun." She said and tilted her head down, towards her lap. She must be texting someone.

"What the fuck? Are you guys like dating?" Charlie sent me.

"Hell no. I'm just trying to be friendly, I guess. He's new and I'm trying to show him around." I replied.

"Don't show him anything besides the school, be careful Jen." She said with a winking emoji. I knew what she was talking about.

"Ew, gross. I'm not that kind of girl." I replied disgusted.

"Just making sure"

"Whose this?" Alex asked sounding confused.

"This is C.J, he's new and I'm showing him around." I said and Alex smiled and Charlie winked at me. She's such a pervert oh my gosh. I love her to death but dang she can be a pervert and over protective, but that's what makes us best friends right?

"Hey." He said with a smile.

"Hey." She said back and started blushing.

"So why didn't you guys walk with me today?" I asked.

"I had to drive Alex to school today because she got a detention already and she had to be there by a certain time and I didn't want to wake you up too early, considering you're not a morning person." She said, putting emphasis on the word 'not.'

"What did you do Alex?" I asked.

"I may or may not have 'talked back to a teacher', but as I see it, I was explaining why I was right." She said, of course, I should've known. She always likes to be right, even if she's not. That's how most of the girls are in my school. It's kind of annoying sometimes though.

"Hey there is a talent show next week, do you want to be in it with me?" Charlie asked, changing the subject.

"Sure, but what are we going to do?" I asked. I have no talent.

"We're going to sing 'A Daydream Away' by All Time Low."

"Sweet, I love that song, let's do it." I said, sounding excited about something for the first time in my life.

After lunch I had two more classes and then I walked home with Charlie and Alex. We talked about random stuff, what we want to do after we get out of high school and stuff like that. To be honest I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't want to do anything, I don't want to talk to people, I want to do something extravagant, but I don't know how I can do that.

"Hey JJ." Nick said as I walked into the house and I threw my book bag on the couch and went into the kitchen to get something to drink.

"Hi." I said after I took a sip out of my water bottle and went upstairs to my room.

I walked into my room and it was quiet, really quiet and I like it. Then I wondered. Where's Amanda?

"Nick, where's Amanda?" I asked from my room.

"At work." He yelled back to me.

"Sweet." I said as I started to blare All Time Low music in my room. It's nice to just listen to my music as loud as I want, with out someone telling me to turn it down.

Nick soon came up to my room and he turned the music off.

"Hey? What did you do that for buddy?" I asked as I made my way out of my bed, walking over to the stereo system. Where my iPod was hooked up to it.

"Mom and dad is home." He said and then I understood and he left my room.

Ever since Nick came home with Amanda, mom and dad have been a little crazy. They've been fighting a lot and I don't like it. I hate the yelling, yet I listen to music that is pretty loud.

The front door slammed shut and soon my parents' bedroom door slammed shut. I went downstairs into Nick's room.

"Hey." I said as I shut the door.

"Hey." He said back to me.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Trying to stay calm."

"It's going to be ok, they just aren't used to having this many people around." I said as I made my way over to where he was sitting.

"I know. I'm getting my own place soon, so they'll have you again." He said.

"Nick. They love having you around, maybe something else is going on." I wondered.

"Still..."

I gave him a hug and then left his room. I went upstairs and plugged in my headphones and listened to music until I fell asleep.