Chapter 7 - Talk

"Who's Henry?" Sarah asked

"Apparently, the manager had a meeting with the chairman or something, not even really sure, and made a fool of herself in front of him," I explained to Sam and Sarah as we settled into the coffee shop.

"Wow, so she's the reason that place is getting shut down," Sam remarked.

"I can name fifty reasons it got shut down," Sarah quipped with a wry smile.

"Yeah, but it was pretty weird. He said I had a bunch of good reviews, and now I have a job at his company," I shared, still processing the unexpected turn of events.

"That's great news! Which company is it?" Sarah inquired with genuine curiosity.

"I forgot, but I guess I'm supposed to talk to him or something. I was really out of it," I admitted, feeling a bit embarrassed by my lack of clarity.

"What did they say you had when you got released from the hospital?" Sam asked, concern evident in his voice.

"The flu. I was completely out of it," I replied, shaking my head at the memory.

"How did you get home?" Sarah questioned, her curiosity piqued.

"All I can think about is her rollerblading home high as hell," Sam chuckled, breaking the tension with his humor.

"Someone took me home," I answered, feeling grateful for the assistance.

"Who?" Sarah pressed, her curiosity now tinged with suspicion.

"Luka. Apparently, they're Henry's sons," I revealed, feeling a bit surprised myself by the connection.

Sam's gaze shifted behind me, his expression turning intense. "Are they tall, kinda slender, and have tattoos?"

I turned to look and spotted four men outside the coffee shop, two of whom matched Sam's description. "Y-yeah."

One of them waved and mouthed, "Hi, doll."

"Yeah, that's them," I confirmed, feeling a bit flustered by the unexpected encounter.

"Hey, the tall one is the one that gave me the money," I added, recalling the earlier conversation.

"Oh yeah, that reminds me, I have to move out of my apartment by the end of the month," I mentioned, feeling a twinge of sadness at the thought of leaving my home.

"There's a building right next to mine that just opened up. I can see if they are renting, and we can go look at it together. They look nice," Sarah offered, her gesture of support warming my heart.

"That sounds wonderful. The sooner I'm out of that place, the better," I agreed, feeling a sense of relief at the prospect of a fresh start.

"I can't wait to start back college," Sam interjected, his enthusiasm contagious.

"You're starting back?" I exclaimed, genuinely happy for him.

"Yeah, with that package, I can now go full time. No worries," Sam replied, his grin widening at the prospect of returning to his studies.

"Sounds amazing and stress-free. I can't wait to get my first paycheck from that new job Henry told me about. I wonder if I can still work at the diner," I mused aloud, contemplating the possibilities.

"Probably not, but it's for the best anyway. The owner, Wayne, was losing more than what he was making keeping it open anyways," Sarah reasoned, her practicality grounding our conversation.

"Yeah," I agreed, feeling a mix of excitement and uncertainty about the future.

As we all stood up to leave, I walked out and was greeted by the two men.

"The doctor said to take it easy, Doll," one of them reminded me, his concern evident in his voice.

"I am. Sam is gonna drive me everywhere I need to go, and I spent more of today just sitting down and talking," I reassured them, grateful for their care and attention.

The other man turned to Sam, his gaze lingering. "Sam, huh?"

"Yeah," Sam replied, his tone confident yet respectful.

"My name's Volkov," he said, smiling ear to ear, though there was a certain tension in the air that belied his expression.

"Where are you going?" he inquired, his curiosity piqued.

"To look at a new place with them," I replied, gesturing towards Sam and Sarah.

"We'll go too, the more the merrier, am I right?" Volkov chimed in, his smile widening, though it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"I guess," I muttered, feeling a bit uneasy under his gaze.

Sam, who was within earshot of our conversation, looked at them with a hint of fear. I got into the car with Sam and Sarah, the feeling of unease lingering in the air.

"Those people look dangerous," Sam muttered, voicing the concern that had been gnawing at him.

"Probably," I agreed, my thoughts drifting back to the encounter outside the coffee shop.