Chapter 42 - Knowing

As I replayed Winter's words in my mind, a sinking feeling began to take hold. The more I thought about it, the more her implications made a horrifying kind of sense.

If what she was saying about Luka was true, then the chances of Sarah still being alive were...

I shuddered, unable to even finish the thought. The realization that my friend was most likely gone, forever, was almost too much to bear.

The next morning, I woke to an empty bed, Luka's side cold and untouched. Steeling myself, I got up and began my day, trying to push the dark thoughts from my mind.

As I made my way through the halls, I was surprised to see Winter striding towards me, a mischievous grin on her face.

"Well, well, look who's finally decided to grace us with her presence," she said, her tone dripping with sarcasm.

"How and why are you here?" I asked, my voice laced with suspicion.

Winter's grin widened. "Well, for one, I'm family. And two, Volcov thinks it would be nice for you to have a friend, well, since your other one might be..." She trailed off, her eyes glinting with amusement.

I stared at her, my heart pounding. "Oh, shut up," I snapped. "It just doesn't make any sense. Why would she turn against Luka? That's like actively signing your death certificate."

Winter shrugged, her expression sobering. "Yeah, you're right about nothing making sense around here." She paused, her gaze searching my face. "But then again, maybe that's the point."

I felt a chill run down my spine. What was she implying? And why did I have the sinking feeling that I was only scratching the surface of the darkness that lurked beneath the surface of this seemingly idyllic island?

"I mean, I don't really think he killed her," I said, trying to convince myself as much as Winter.

She raised a brow, her expression skeptical. "Oh, and how's that?"

I swallowed hard, the memory of that horrific incident still seared into my mind. "Because the last time he killed for me, I saw her head in a box, gifted to me."

Winter's eyes widened in shock, her mouth falling open. "You... you can't be serious," she stammered, all traces of her usual bravado gone.

I nodded solemnly, the weight of my words settling heavily between us. "I wish I wasn't. But Luka, he..." I paused, struggling to find the right words.

Winter stared at me, her face pale. "Fuck," she breathed, running a hand through her hair. "I knew he was ruthless, but I didn't think he was... Jesus, that's just..." She trailed off, shaking her head in disbelief.

Winter stared at me, her eyes wide with a mixture of horror and disbelief. "So... he sent you Vera's head... in a box?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Yup," I replied, my own voice sounding hollow as I sat on the sofa, looking up at her confused face.

I watched as she began to pace back and forth, her brow furrowed in deep thought. "Okay, let me get this straight," she said, pausing to look at me. "Luka killed someone, and then he sent you the victim's severed head as some kind of... twisted gift?"

I nodded, my stomach churning at the memory. "That's right. It was a warning, a message that he was willing to go to any lengths to... keep me safe"

Winter let out a shaky breath. "Fuck, that's messed up. I mean, I knew the guy was bad news, but this is a whole other level of fucked up."

She resumed her pacing, her mind clearly racing. "So, if he's willing to do that, then what the hell happened to your friend Sarah? I mean, is she..." She trailed off, the unspoken question hanging heavily in the air.

I swallowed hard, the dread pooling in the pit of my stomach. "I... I don't know. But if what you said is true, and people really do just disappear around here, then I'm afraid the worst may have happened to her."

Winter paused, her gaze locking with mine. "And you're still here, with him? After all of that?"

I looked at her, a wry smile tugging at the corners of my lips. "Well, I needed to get away from my parents by any means possible. I mean, he's never done anything remotely bad to me, you know?"

Winter's eyes widened, and she let out a humorless laugh. "Holy hell, is this entire family fucked up."

She began pacing again, her brow furrowed in deep thought. "Okay, so if that's the case, why do you think Sarah, your best friend who had known these people longer than you have, gone missing?"

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Well, I think... I think she might have been a traitor."

Winter stopped in her tracks, staring at me in disbelief. "A traitor? What the hell are you talking about?"

I shrugged, my gaze dropping to the floor. "I don't know, it's just... the way Luka and the others have been acting, the way they talk about her. It's like she did something to betray them, you know?"

Winter shook her head, her expression a mix of exasperation and concern. "Jesus, you really have been living in a bubble, haven't you? Don't you see what's happening here?"

I looked up, my heart racing. "What do you mean? What's really going on?"

Winter moved closer, her voice lowering to a whisper. "This entire family, they're not just messed up, they're dangerous. And Luka, he's the worst of them all. He doesn't just eliminate people who cross him, he destroys them."

I felt a chill run down my spine. "But... but why? Why would he do that?"

Winter's gaze hardened. "Power, control, obsession. Luka, he's not just some problem-solver for this family, he's the one who keeps them all in line. And anyone who tries to break free, well..." She trailed off, the implication hanging heavy in the air.

I swallowed hard, my mind racing. "So, you're saying... Sarah, she tried to leave, and Luka..."

Winter nodded solemnly. "I'm saying your friend is most likely dead. And if you're not careful, you could be next."

___________

(A/N)

Winter really feels like the only normal one