Chapter 1

I have never known who my mum is. My dad, Tamlin the High Lord of the Spring Court, has never told me. The last time I asked, he just said that she left just after I was born. I was born a hundred years after the war with Hybern, which took place five hundred years ago. My dad has told me the story about the war hundreds of times. It has always gone the same and always will:

Fifty years before the war started, a Queen called Amarantha threw a massive masquerade ball and invited the whole of the Spring Court. During the ball, she announced that there could be peace if my dad joined her as her lover and consort, but my dad didn't let her touch him. She then cursed the whole of the Spring Court. My dad  and the rest of the Spring Court were cursed to always wear the masks they had worn to this ball. The only way to break this curse was for a human who had killed a fae with hate in their heart to fall in love with my father and marry him. My father and his closest soldiers spent forty nine years trying to find a human who would kill a fae with hate in their heart. Then, one day a human called Feyre killed one of my father's guards called Andras. My father then went over the wall to bring her to the Spring Court.

Feyre and my father fell in love with each other. But, then my father was taken by Amarantha to Under The Mountain. Feyre went to save him, but to be able to save him, she had to complete three tasks and there would be a task every month or she could solve a riddle: 'There are those who seek me a lifetime but never we meet, And those I kiss but who trample me beneath ungrateful feet. At times I seem to favor the clever and the fair, But I bless all those who are brave enough to dare. By large, my ministrations are soft-handed and sweet, But scorned, I become a difficult beast to defeat. For though each of my strikes lands a powerful blow, When I kill, I do it slow...' She was kept as a prisoner when she wasn't completing these tasks. To ensure her survival, she had to make a deal with Rhysand, the High Lord of the Night Court. She agreed to spend one week every month with him at the Night Court.

When the final task came, Feyre had to kill three fae. The last was my dad. She solved the riddle before she killed my father, the answer was love. A battle followed, where Feyre was killed. My dad killed Amarantha, and his curse was broken, and then he rushed to her side. All the High Lords gave Feyre a small bit of their power after some convincing from my dad. This turned her into an immortal fae. My dad and Feyre went back to the Spring Court and they were living happily while they planned their wedding.

Three months after they had escaped from Under The Mountain, my dad and Feyre's wedding day dawned. Everything was going smoothly. Feyre had walked up the aisle and had met my dad at the altar. The wedding began, and just as the priestess asked if anyone objected to the wedding, Rhysand appeared in the garden from the shadows and called in the deal, which he hadn't for the last three months. He took Feyre straight out of the wedding.

The deal went on for a few months until my dad had had enough. Him and Feyre decided that if they tried locking themselves in the manor. It didn't work. Rhysand dragged Feyre out of the manor. Feyre didn't return at the end of the week, and my dad had to side with Hybern to try and get her back. When Rhysand and his court got to the island, it was apparent that the deal that Feyre had made with Rhysand had tricked her into believing she was in love with him. My dad got the king of Hybern to break this bond that Feyre had with Rhysand, and he got her back.

When the soldiers from Hybern were in the Spring Court, Feyre escaped since she had found out the Rhysand was her mate and she left my dad for him. My dad was betrayed by Hybern, so he tried his best to help Feyre, but it wasn't enough to win her back. After the war, he returned to the Spring Court, having lost all hope. Feyre accepted the mating bond with Rhysand and had become High Lady of the Night Court.

My dad has always taught me never to trust any fae from the Night Court. They will lie and twist the truth and trick you into doing what they want. I have never met someone from the Night Court, but I don't want to. Not after all the stories my dad has told me.