Chapter 12

The next day, I'm awoken by a loud knocking on my door. I rub my eyes and trudge across the room and open the door. "Good, you're up." Nyx greets me.
"Good morning to you too." I say as I blink the sleep out of my eyes.
"Remember, I'm showing you my favourite places today." Nyx says to me. I had remembered, I just didn't expect to have been woken up by him knocking on my bedroom door. "Get dressed, we're leaving in ten minutes."
"Fine." I respond. I close the door again and throw on the first clothes I find, a lilac coloured dress, with little flowers in the sleeves. I open the door nine minutes later, having brushed my hair and styled it in a simple plait.
"You're almost late." He says.
"I wasn't though. I'm a minute early." I respond, walking past him and down the stairs.

Once we leave to house, we walk until we reach the edge of the city. "We are going to be leaving the city today. We'll winnow to the destination." Nyx tells me. He reaches out to take my hand.
"I can winnow myself now, your dad taught me." I say to him.
"You don't know where we're going though." He responds. "I'll winnow us there, you can winnow yourself back if you want."
"Fine then." I reply as I grab his hand.

He winnows us to a hill a few miles away from the city. When we land I take in the landscape around us. The hill looks down onto a city on one side, and a valley where the Sidra flows down the middle on the other. "It's beautiful." I say as I take in the view in awe.
"This is where I come when I need a break from my family, or responsibilities or I just want to spend time out of the city, but still be close to home." He tells me. "I usually come up here to watch the sunrise in the morning."
"It's lovely Nyx. There aren't views like this anywhere in the Spring Court, it was mainly just forest."

We both just stand on the hill in silence for a few moments. Nyx breaks the silence and says, "We should start a new routine. Like what we had when we were meting by the pool. Meet up here every morning to watch the sunrise."
"Yes. We should do that." I respond.
"Perfect." Nyx exclaims. "I'll see you tomorrow, I'm meeting my uncles in ten minutes."
"I'll see you tomorrow." I say as Nyx winnows off the hill.

I stay on the hill for a few minutes before I winnow back down to the house.