Chapter 5

ELOISE DUPONT

"Tell Ricky good morning, he is worried we are going to be late." Jade flashes her iPhone towards me and I give a quick wave with my eyeliner perched between fingers. Jade and I woke up to room service breakfast being delivered. Courtesy of Ricky planning ahead. I earlier heard him say he could tell we had a night out drinking due to my newest Instagram post, something I will have to check on later.

Apparently, if I post a photo of me with a wide smile that looks happy beyond belief, it is evident that I am either drunk or Jade has my phone. Unfortunately both were true and that tipped Ricky off. He decided to become our own personal alarm this morning to allow us time to get ready.

I was touching up the simple look I had chosen for today, marking day one of classes. I finished the light dusting of blush before standing up to inspect myself in the mirror. I had chosen a high neckline black sleeveless shirt that I tucked into some tan Burberry London plain printed wide leg slacks. It seemed like the right thing to be comfortable, contemporary, and also elegant. I knew there would be some pictures and I wanted to start off on the right foot so that it can mark the tour for true success.

As I was using a hand to adjust the hem of my neckline Jade reappeared in the room, sans iPhone this time. "Oh, wait. Love that, but you need this." She instantly says before starting to shuffle in her bag for something I must be missing. She pulls out a black belt that no doubt will cinch my waist, and pull the outfit more together. In my mind I skipped over the part about accessories because my apron will still be covering me despite the time and effort I put into my outfit.

I remembered to bring my trusty and favorite evergreen apron. It is not only my favorite color, but I seem to think it is a good luck charm. I was gifted it from my father on the day of the competition that ended up landing me in most of the good fortune I continue to bask in.

Jade didn't waste time before sneaking up behind me to dangle the leather belt in front of my vision to add to the fit, and she was right, it did pull it all together. She clicks her tongue and takes a fake picture with her fingers mimicking a camera before padding her way over to the bed and flopping down on it. "Ricky says hi hello all that. He also says everyone is absolutely adoring the fact you did the whole voting on the menu of what they want to make. Apparently people are making comments that it helps get them in the mood for what the vibe of the class is going to be and just how ready they are to learn from the best."

Jade pulls her phone out to scroll with one hand while the other perches herself up. Meanwhile, I was combing through my hair trying to remember what I saw on the menu for tonight. When I was building the concept for the classes I gave everyone that signed up choices of if they want simpler, complex, single person, large style, and different concepts of meals, then after that I would put together about five choices and let them vote! Only two classes had issues with the voting, and ended up with ties, and for those I decided maybe I will just write out the secondary recipe and send it home with them also.

Jade's idea with the tour was to also have a commemorative little booklet of all the tour foods along with a few of my own personal favorite recipes. The back of the book has some blank space for the new owners to create their own creations as well. Each booklet is custom for the class you go to with a stamp on the front showcasing what city the class was in as well as the recipe from the class you took in the back. I guess for the price of the ticket it makes sense you have to have some sort of memory of the event.

When I saw the pricing of the tickets online I thought Ricky and Jade were insane. There was no way a normal person would pay nearly two-hundred dollars for four hour cooking class. However, it sold out instantly and people told me the price was even considered low for how much they wanted to meet me and work with me in the kitchen. These are all things I am still not used to, because I feel like I am still learning everyday myself, so how does anyone else think of me so highly? It's sometimes a little insane.

I recognize the ding of my phone going off somewhere near the other side of the room and trapeze my way over luggage that Jade and I strewed about the floor till I find it.

Clark Bishop to Elle: Chase asked for an itemized list of assets that were present before AND after the marriage. I suggest we agree and just go with it, along with asking for one in return. Is that okay?

I didn't realize the audible groan I had let out till Jade pointed it out, forcing me to come clean about the aspect that day one of trying to escape my 'back home life' is not going well because my lawyer just messaged me about the divorce.

Jade dropped her phone and sat up straight, running both hands through her long locks that gleamed in the sunlight from our third story windows. "And what exactly is this small brained and even smaller penised man trying to do with said list? Keep in mind, man is a loose term for the cretin at this point."

I hold a hand over my mouth to stifle my laughter that threatened to spill out at Jade's evident anger and distaste for my ex-husband that she never fails to make obvious.

Elle to Clark Bishop: Understandable. If you think it is in the best interest, I trust your judgment. I will still be unavailable till the actual date. I can send you Richard and Jade's contact information as well so that if you are unable to get ahold of me you have the necessary next persons of contact that are helpful. Thank you again Clark!

If I wasn't nervous for class already then that was the topping on the cake to make sure I will be. The venue was close but I needed to head over in the next thirty minutes, because most of the classes are actually taking place midday since that seemed more like the timeframe people were interested in.

Jade was ready in moments in an all black pantsuit with a pearl headband pinning back her hair before she told me we were being summoned for a selfie. Ricky of course. We attempted a few, but Jade said it did not do us justice for our great outfits and restored instead to a mirror selfie to show him.

Ricky of course was dotting as ever saying we both looked ready to take on the world and all that jazz. Having such supportive friends really helps bounce your mindset into a good place.

I collect my tote bag filled with everything I need and double check my apron is inside before we rush out the door towards the venue.

***

"I'm so happy each and every one of you took time in your day to support me and want to create today," I had my hands clasped in front of me as I leaned against the polished counter top. The room already smelled of thick molasses and nectarine goodness from the tarte bites I made for everyone to munch on before we started. I learned at a young age you cannot cook on an empty stomach, because you will rush things and it will never bring out your best plates then. "After you all voted, we decided tonight's menu will feature some amazing choices. We are making an appetizer of miniature sweet corn crepes that are stuffed with a mixture containing golden beet, whipped goat cheese mousse, roasted carrots, and drizzled with a beet balsamic dressing. At the same time we are whipping up an actual dinner course as well that will be... hold on let me check my notes." I reach for the booklet that was already opened behind me to the page I needed.

"Today we have whipped feta, roasted black truffle & thyme potatoes. We are going to boil them so they have a soft inside similar to mashed potatoes, but finish it with a roast so that there is a light crisp on the outside, then plating them over some bok choy braised in fried garlic, Worcestershire, and soy sauce. It sounds so simple but the taste is phenomenal and you are going to be so proud of yourself, because it is simple. You are going to wonder why you never thought of this before. Let's all grab an apron and get started!"