Chapter 22

ELOISE DUPONT

The leather was cold cold against my skin, but that's what happens when you wear something this revealing in the midst of a chilly day. The wind had been persistent all morning, creating a less than joyful plane ride back into the city. I was already exhausted, stressed, and it was evident through puffy and redden eyes. 

I tried listening to Jade's advice with my outfit, but ended up feeling a bit too on display while sauntering around my apartment as Pickle mewled at me.

Clark saw my shiver as I stared off into the direction of the courthouse. He fumbled with the knobs, turning the a/c off and allowed a warmer air start to disperse itself into the high class, overly expensive Mercedes Benz SL Roadster that of course a lawyer would sport. When he offered to pick me up and take me I was elated, because that was another thing I didn't have to prepare and plan for. Driving while my mind was so heavily preoccupied was the last thing I wanted to do, and I believe Clark knew this.

I've known Clark for years, because he also helped my father when setting up the legalities for The Cellar, along with helping Jade and I when setting up everything for my book and tour. Honestly, in the past few years Clark has became an honorary member of the family, and when he saw the news about my divorce -actually saw the circulating photos of Mia and Chase, coming to the conclusion that this would only end badly- he practically begged to take on the case and kick Chase to the curb for me.

I smooth my hands over the wide legged champagne toned silk trousers, attempting to calm some nerves. "Are you nervous kid?" Clark's voice boomed through the small space over his oldies station that quietly played an Eagles song in the background. I flip down the visor to double check the rest of myself before answering. My silk button up shirt was tucked in, a Chanel gold and black belt cinching my waist and hopefully giving my body a decent hourglass. 

My hands pull back the light waves of strawberry blonde hair from my face, letting it fall slowly while the mirror showed me a shell of who I was days ago. I was living life happily, classes going well, on a world wide tour with my two best friends...

Now, now I am here in a lawyers passenger seat, zooming down the East Highway towards Hempstead, the end of a particular chapter in my life. Dense trees became a blur in my vision, other cars not matching the speed of Clarks white convertible that weaved through traffic. 

"Nervous is an understatement." I answered Clark honestly. I didn't even pay any mind to him calling me kid, because to him, I was. Clark was at least in his late fifties, but it was more about the fact he bonded so well with dad during the set-up of The Cellar. I sigh, allowed the muscles in my back to decompress, shoulders slump, jaw loosing the tightened strain it has held all morning, and mind unbridle itself with the stress that consumed it. "I just wish this was over with, and that there was no this to begin with. Clark, why did he do it you think?"

Personally, my brain has mulled over this exact question for months, trying to create a timeline, make connections of how or why he would do this, and just how long he had lost the love he once had for me.

"Kiddo, being cheated on is really tough. Breaks you down and makes you think you were the problem somehow. Was I not good enough looking, did I gain weight, did they find someone better, am I not sexual enough, what could I have done better. None of it. You were and still are a hell of a knock-out, and Chase just never deserved you deep down." Clark threw on a blinker and quickly whipped us onto the exit, his hands gripped the tan leather wheel harshly and it made a faint squeaking noise as he turned us onto the final part of today's journey. The GPS screen alerted that we were nearly there, and my restless leg began to bounce.