Chapter VI: Open Your Eyes

One of the dungeon tiles was easily pried up to reveal a chamber beneath, along with a pair of eyes peering up at them. Aureate extended her leaf blade to the zombie, hoisting him up. He still had the cursed bonds on, so using his Core Ability, whatever it was, wouldn't be a possibility. He was, however, in possession of his weapon.

Stelora granted herself the liberty of taking it from him. The two led him into the meeting room. On the way there, they briefed him on the situation.

"Willow said you were involved in the downfall of a place called Zomburbia. Is this true?" she asked in Ancient Plant, unable to peel her eyes away from the bunny in his scarf.

"It is," the zombie confirmed. He was talking, so that was a start.

"Tell us more," Stelora said. He didn't even spare her a glance. "Where are you taking me?"

"We're taking you to meet the others. We're in a dire situation as of the moment, and you may be able to provide help. But we can only be sure if you tell us your story," Aureate said. Stelora huffed. When the zombie didn't say anything, Aureate continued, "Your name is Astrophelle, right? I'm Aureate, and this is my sister, Stelora."

"You're bearers, if I'm not mistaken," Astrophelle pointed out.

"That's right. I'm the Gembearer of Light, and Stelora is the Gembearer of Energy."

Princess, are you sure you should be telling him this much?

"And this is my spirit, Luz. Say hello to Astro, Luz." She called the ghost out of the Gemstone.

"I don't see anything," Astrophelle stated.

Luz, you were the one who wished for us to be friendly with him to begin with, were you not? That's what we're doing. Now, make yourself visible, please.

"Okay, okay.." Luz obliged. He waved a spiritual leaf blade at Astrophelle, who regarded him with a slow blink. "Would you like to introduce him to Elethea?" she asked Stelora. "Elethea's grounded," Stelora said simply.

"Right, then."

They had arrived at the door to the meeting room.

"Be ready to share, Astro," Aureate told him. His expression was unreadable, but he nodded nonetheless. Aureate liked this better. The interrogation stuff was completely out of her range. But befriending someone, even if that someone may be perceived as an enemy to her entire species, was something she could do. She presumed Astrophelle also preferred that method, seeing he was more receptive.

She pushed the door open, taking the first step inside. Stelora nudged Astrophelle forward with the tip of his very own umbrella, forcing him to tail Aureate. Luz remained materialized as she took her seat at the head of the table.

Stelora shut the door, remaining posted at it to discourage him from trying anything.

"I cannot believe this is happening," Aureate heard her father mutter.

Silence. The Allegiance stared at the zombie, waiting for him to speak. Was it true? They wondered. Did he really take down Zomboss?

"Well," Astrophelle began, "it all started with a certain somebody named Zephyr Astaku."

He told the story about the zombie brainwashings and a handful of strangers coming together for the sake of freedom. A story about truth. It was a story Aureate never thought she would get to hear. She found herself clinging to every word he said. And when it was over, she felt a certain weight lifted off of her. Finally, finally, she had gotten the answers she wanted from the zombie.