The Caretaker (part 2)

[Deep Space Nine]

„If I may say so, it's been my special pleasure to see many new officers like yourself come through these portals. Your parents must be very proud, my boy. You know, on an occasion like this.", Quark said to a young Ensign named Harry Kim. Voyager was his first assignment.

„I'm really not interested.", Harry replied.

„Interested?", Quark asked hypocritically.

„You were about to try to sell me something, right?", Harry wanted to know.

„I was merely going to suggest that your parents might appreciate a memento of your first mission.", Quark said.

„And you happen to have several to choose from?", Harry asked.

„I do carry a select line of unique artefacts and gem stones indigenous to this region. Why, quite recently, I acquired these Lobi crystals from a very strange creature called a Morn.", Quark answered.

„We were warned about the Ferengi at the Academy.", Harry told him.

„Warned about Ferengi, were you?", Quark asked.

„That's right.", Harry said.

„Slurs about my people at Starfleet Academy.", Quark complained.

A young half Vulcan and half Cardassian woman walked up to them.

„Leave the poor ensign alone Quark.", she said.

Quark turned to her and said: „Can you believe it Thalia? Here I am, trying to be a cordial host, knowing how much a young officer's parents would appreciate a token of his love on the eve of a dangerous mission, and what do I get for my trouble? Scurrilous insults. Well, somebody's going to hear about this."

He turned back to Harry: „What's your name, son?"

„My name?", Harry asked confused.

„You have one, I presume?", Quark replied.

„Kim, Harry Kim. But I-", Harry started but Quark interrupted him.

„And who was it at the Academy who warned you about Ferengi?", he wanted to know.

„You know, I think a memento for my parents would be a great idea.", Harry said.

„Oh, no, no, no, no, no.", Quark said, shaking his head.

„Really. What are these? It would make a great pendant for my mother.", Harry said, trying to get out of the situation.

„Or cufflinks for your father.", Quark suggested.

„Cufflinks. Great idea.", Harry agreed.

„They're not for sale. Now, inform your commanding officer that the Federation Council can expect an official query.", Quark said.

„How much for the entire tray?", Harry asked, sounding a bit desperate.

„Cash or credit?", Quark wanted to know.

Tom, now in Starfleet uniform but without pips, walked over to the three.

„Dazzling, aren't they? As bright as a Koladan diamond.", He said.

„Brighter.", Quark claimed.

„Hard to believe you can find them on any planet in the system.", Tom said casually.

„That's an exaggeration.", Quark disagreed.

„You know, there's a shop at the Volnar Colony that sells a dozen assorted shapes for one Cardassian lek. How much are you selling these for?", Thalia asked.