The Caretaker (part 6)

„Janeway to Paris.", Kathryn said over comms.

„Go ahead.", Tom answered.

„The transporters aren't working. You're going to have to find a breach in the security barrier when you get to the top.", Kathryn told him.

„Understood.", Tom replied.

„We're a few minutes behind you. Janeway out.", Kathryn said.

„I see them.", Tom said to Kes and Neelix.

B'Elanna, Harry and Thalia were on the next landing, exhausted. The weapons fire made the staircase rattle.

„Took you long enough.", Harry said.

„How could I let down the only friends I've got?", Tom asked.

„Friends?", Thalia repeated.

„What makes you think we're your friends?", Harry asked.

„Paris to Janeway.", Tom said into his comm.

„Go ahead.", Kathryn answered.

„We found them, Captain.", Tom stated.

„Don't wait for us. Get them to safety.", Kathryn said.

„Don't worry. I know we can get through the barrier.", said Kes, helping B'Elanna as Tom helped Harry and Neelix helped Thalia.

-

The horizontal tunnel in the rock was partially blocked by a force field, but there was a gap at one edge where a rock had fallen.

„Whatever you do, don't touch it. We've been told it'll burn your skin off.", Kes informed them.

-

„They're not far ahead of us. Keep going.", Kathryn told the rest of the team.

-

„I think we've reached the top. Neelix, get out your phaser.", Tom told Neelix. Both of them fired at the tunnel roof. It fell in and they could see daylight.

Tom climbed out onto the desert and helped Kes then Harry and Thalia. Next came B'Elanna and finally Neelix.

„Voyager, can you get a lock on us now?", Tom asked over comms.

„Affirmative. But I'm reading only five signals.", Rollins replied from the bridge of the Voyager.

„The others are. Get down!", Tom exclaimed.

A weapon hit shook the shaft, throwing Kathryn, Chakotay and Tuvok off balance, and a cloud of dust came out of the hole.

„Paris to Janeway. Chakotay, Tuvok, do you read? Voyager, prepare to transport everyone in this group except me.", Tom stated.

„Aye, sir.", Rollins replied.

„You're not thinking of going back there? Well, if a fool needs company. Take care of them, dearest. I'll see you later.", Neelix said to Kes.

„Voyager, make that four to beam up. Lock in on the other comm badge and energise.", Tom said and Kes, Harry, Thalia and B'Elanna were beamed up.

-

Kathryn checked on Tuvok.

„My leg is broken. I can't move.", Chakotay stated.

„Hold on.", Kathryn said.

„There they are.", Neelix stated.

„Neelix, help me with Tuvok.", Kathryn said.

„I'll get Chakotay.", Tom stated.