Phage (part 5)

[USS Voyager]

Dereth used his scanner on Neelix.

„His simulated organs are primitive. It's amazing he is still alive.", he stated.

Dereth pointed his scanned at Tuvok, who was very fast on the draw with his phaser.

„This is set to scan only.", Dereth explained.

„Proceed, carefully.", Tuvok said.

Dereth scanned Tuvok, then Kes, Kathryn, Thalia, a security guard, then the doctor. 

„Strange. According to my readings, you are not here.", he stated.

„Believe me, I wish I weren't.", the doctor replied.

„The rest of you are healthy. You are compatible for organ transplant.", Dereth said before turning to Thalia.

„But I wouldn't recommend you to do it.", he told her.

„What? Why?", she asked.

„Well, such a procedure would be dangerous for the baby.", Dereth said, catching Thalia off guard.

„What baby?", she asked.

„Your baby.", Dereth answered.

„You're pregnant.", he added.

„No I'm not.", Thalia stated. Everyone else was as shocked by that statement as she was. Kathryn put her hand on Thalias shoulder but she brushed it off and left sickbay.

After a minute of silence, the doctor returned to the previous topic.

„We've already considered donation. Talaxian physiology is different from that of anyone else on this ship. His immune system would reject their lungs immediately.", he said.

„Your surgical knowledge is inferior. We will simply adapt his immunogenicity. It won't be a problem. Which of you will donate a lung?", Dereth asked.

„Me.", Kes immediately replied.

„No, absolutely not. It's too dangerous. Let someone else do it.", Neelix immediately said.

„No, I want to do it, Neelix. I'm willing to take the risk. Besides, you've done so much for me, let me give you something this once. Just for once.", Kes pleaded.

„All right.", Neelix gave in.

„I look forward to sampling your cooking, Mister Neelix.", Kathryn told him.

„You mean I can keep my kitchen?", Neelix asked.

„Well, at least until we get the replicators back online.", Kathryn agreed.

„Thank you, Captain. And Captain? I'll see you at breakfast.", Neelix said.

-

„Captain's log, supplemental. The aliens have successfully transplanted one of Kes' lungs into Neelix. The dampening field has been deactivated, and I have allowed them to beam back to their vessel. We are resuming a course home."

-

Neelix and Kes were in blue sickbay gowns on biobeds. Kes woke up first.

„It's all right. The operation was a success. Neelix is asleep and breathing on his own now. With your lung.", the doctor told her.

„I feel a little light-headed.", Kes said.

„That will pass. You'll soon adapt to diminished lung capacity. I spoke to the Captain about you. She's given me permission to begin training you as a medical assistant. You'll be a back-up for Mister Paris, or possibly a replacement. That is, assuming you're interested.", the doctor told her.

„Of course I'm interested. When do we start?", Kes asked exited.

„We'll begin your lessons as soon as you've fully recovered.", the doctor said.

„Thank you, Doctor.", Kes replied.

„Thank you. You've given me a lot to think about.", the doctor stated.

-

Thalias door chimed. She didn't answer. After a while, Kathryn decided to come in without invitation. Thalia sat on her bed. It was clear that she had been crying, which was unusual for her, because of her vulcan side.

„How are you doing?", Kathryn asked, as she sat down next to Thalia.

„What do you think?", Thalia asked, without looking up at Kathryn.

„I think that you should take your mind of things for a while.", Kathryn answered.

„How can I?", Thalia snapped and immediately regretted it.

„I'm scared Kath.", she admitted.

„I know you are.", Kathryn said and hugged Thalia.

„Do you know who's it might be?", she asked.

„We both know who's it is.", Thalia replied.

„Well I just thought that maybe...", Kathryn trailed off.

Thalia shook her head.

„I've had nothing with a guy since the academy. If Dereth is right, that's the only explanation for it.", she stated.

„I'm sorry.", Kathryn said after a short pause.

„Yeah. Me too.", Thalia replied.