Parallax (part 5)

[Shuttlecraft]

„We've cleared Voyager.", Kathryn said.

„Shields at full strength.", B'Elanna stated.

„We'll reach the rupture in approximately four and a half minutes. Let's get that dekyon beam online.", Kathryn said.

„Remodulating emitters. Captain, I want to apologise for losing my temper in your Ready room. I think maybe you were hitting a little bit too close to home, you know? I respect Chakotay but he's wrong. I'm not officer material and we both know it. The truth is, I quit the Academy because I realised I couldn't make it in Starfleet, and believe me, no one was sorry to see me go.", B'Elanna admitted.

„Professor Chapman was.", Kathryn objected.

„What?", B'Elanna asked. Kathryns statement had caught her off guard.

„He put a letter in your permanent file saying that should you ever re-apply, he would support you. He thought you were one of the most promising cadets he'd ever taught.", Kathryn explained.

„I fought with him almost every day. I was always questioning his, his methods, his assumptions, and he was always slapping me down like some upstart kid. I was surprised he didn't help me pack my bags.", B'Elanna said.

„Some professors like students who challenge their assumptions, B'Elanna. And so do some captains. Professor Chapman wasn't alone. Many of your teachers thought you had the potential to be an outstanding officer. You had more friends at the Academy than you realised. We're fifteen kilometres from the rupture. Start charging the dekyon beam.", Kathryn replied.

„Dekyon beam online.", B'Elanna stated.

The shuttle was hit by something.

„Shields down to sixty two percent."

„Increase speed. We have to get to that rupture before these spatial distortions tear us apart. All right. Let's open this hole in the ice a little wider. Initiate the dekyon beam.", Kathryn ordered.

[USS Voyager]

„They've widened the rupture by almost thirty five percent.", Harry said.

„They'll have to widen it twice that much before Voyager can make it through.", Tom stated.

Voyage started shaking again.

„Hold our position! Mister Tuvok, report.", Chakotay ordered.

„The spatial distortions are increasing.", Tuvok stated.

„Hull integrity has dropped eighteen percent.", Harry stated.

[Shuttlecraft]

„We've widened the opening by over sixty five percent. I'd like another five for safety.", Kathryn said.

„We're losing power. I don't think we're going to get any more, Captain.", B'Elanna said, as the shaking stopped.

„Let's get back to Voyager.", Kathryn said.

[USS Voyager]

It was peaceful there too.

„The shuttle is returning, Commander. It appears as though they've been damaged. Their comm system's down. I can't raise them.", Thalia stated.

„The rupture's now one hundred twenty meters in diameter. That leaves us with less than two meters clearance on either side.", Harry said.

„Mister Paris, as soon as we've recovered the shuttlecraft, lay in a course toward the rupture and take us out.", Chakotay ordered.