Phage (part 3)

[USS Voyager]

Only Neelix's head is visible sticking out of the long metal tube over his body and bed. 

„Okay. The isotropic restraint is activated. He won't be able to move more than two microns in any direction.", Thalia stated.

„One micron would be preferable, but I suppose it'll have to do. Initiating the holographic emitter array.", the doctor said.

„His cellular toxicity is rising. Eighty two percent. Eighty six percent.", Thalia stated.

„Computer, activate programme Neelix One. Deactivate the infuser.", the doctor ordered.

„It's offline.", Tom said.

„Here we go.", the doctor said.

„Ninety percent. Ninety five percent.", Thalia continued to count.

Neelix took a breath.

„Toxicity returning to normal.", Thalia stated relieved.

-

Captain's log, supplemental. We are pursuing the alien ship from the moon. They are not responding to hails and it appears that our two ships are evenly matched for speed.

-

„Holographic lungs?", Neelix asked.

„Yes, and they're working perfectly, if I do say so myself. Try to breath normally.", the doctor replied.

„How long can I live like this?", Neelix asked.

„We don't know. This is an unprecedented medical procedure. We will be closely monitoring your condition.", Thalia said.

„When do I get out of this restraint?", Neelix wanted to know.

„Unless Captain Janeway is successful in retrieving your original lungs, you'll have to stay in the isotropic restraint indefinitely.", the doctor answered.

„Indefinitely? You mean I could be in here the rest of my life.", Neelix said.

„Yes.", the doctor agreed.

„But we're trying to find the aliens that did this to you. The Captain is doing everything she can.", Kes assured Neelix.

„Well, if I'm going to be in here a while, now's as good a time as any to tell you. Your ceiling is hideous.", he stated.

„I didn't design the room, I just work here.", the doctor replied.

„Something with a bit of colour would help. Maybe a nice tapestry or a painting. Could you dim the lights a little?", Neelix asked.

„I'm a doctor, Mister Neelix, not a decorator.", the doctor replied.

Then he turned to Kes.

„Perhaps you would be willing to accommodate his aesthetic needs.", he said to her.

„And some music would be nice. Or better yet, are you programmed to sing?", Neelix asked.

„Janeway to Paris and Zat. Please report to the bridge.", Kathryns voice said over comms.

„We're on our way, Captain.", Thalia replied.

„You know where I am if you need me.", Tom told Kes before they left.

„Thanks for everything.", she replied.

„Oh, fine. I have a little accident, I lose a pair of lungs, and the next thing I know Paris is swooping in like a Rectillian vulture.", Neelix stated.