Parallax (part 4)

[USS Voyager]

Harry and Thalia walked through the corridor.

„I've taken a look at every major subsystem and there's no sign of any trouble.", Harry told his friend.

„What about the navigational array?", Thalia asked.

„I'll have the results in about an hour. So, I hear there's been some trouble down in Engineering.", Harry said.

„There was... an altercation. But it's been resolved.", Thalia explained.

„That's not what I hear. I hear that the whole department's up in arms, that the Maquis and Starfleet people are almost at each other's throats.", Harry told her.

„I won't ever stop being amazed by the human capacity for hyperbole.", Thalia said with a chuckle.

„The situation may be tense, but one could hardly say that they're about to become violent. Violent looks different.", she explained.

„I just hope you're right. Things are bad enough around here without, ow!", Harry exclaimed.

„Are you all right?", Thalia asked worried.

„Yeah. I just have this splitting headache and-", Harry didn't finish and fell onto his knees.

„I'd better get you to Sickbay.", Thalia stated, kneeling down in front of Harry.

„Dizzy. Can't- can't focus.", Harry said.

-

„Twenty seven other crew members have now reported the symptoms. And yet, when I examined each of them, I couldn't find anything wrong. I have no diagnosis, no prognosis, no recommended treatment. I'll contact you when I have something more to contribute. And by the way, I am now sixty eight centimetres shorter. I'd appreciated it if someone would repair my holographic projectors before I have trouble reaching my patients.", the doctor told the officers in the briefing room before ending the transmission.

„I finished my study of the spatial distortions coming from the singularity. I can give you a long, boring analysis. Suffice it to say, I don't know what's going on. The readings are confused, the data is contradictory. None of it makes any sense. Anyone have anything more constructive?", Kathryn asked.

„Ship-wide diagnostics have revealed nothing out of the ordinary.", Tuvok stated.

„I tried sending out a tachyon signal to scan the singularity but all I got back was static.", Carey said.

„B'Elanna, do you think you can work with Mister Carey to clean up that signal?", Chakotay asked.

„Yes.", B'Elanna said.

"Good.", Kathryn replied.

„But it won't work. I mean, it was a good idea to try it but it won't work.", B'Elanna stated.

„You have another idea?", Kathryn asked.

„I was just thinking about the problem with the Doctor's holographic projectors. It seems like the spatial distortions might be interfering with the projectors phase alignment.", B'Elanna said.

„That was my guess too.", Kathryn agreed with her.

„If that's the case, I could screen out those distortions by setting up a localised dampening field around the projectors.", B'Elanna said.

„Is our priority here really the Medical Holograph system?", Carey asked.

„My point is, that if the spatial distortions are also interfering with the transmission we received from the other ship-", B'Elanna started to explain.