Time And Again (part 2)

[Ruined plaza]

Thalia took something round from a ledge. It had a series of numbers in red LED on it. 401-22-84.

„Look. This may be some kind of time piece, stopped at the moment of the explosion.", she said.

Suddenly there was sunlight and children's voices. Then it was gone.

„What was that?", Thalia asked.

„What?", B'Elanna wanted to know.

„Didn't you hear that?", Thalia asked.

„Hear what, Lieutenant?", Tuvok wanted to know.

„Kids playing. They were as close to me as-"

Thalia was in the sunshine again. Children were playing ball as men and women went about their business. She was in front of a clock shop. A hand touched her shoulder and she was back in the gloom again. It was Kathryn.

„I don't understand. I was here in this square, but there were people.", Thalia stated.

„You never left here, Thalia.", Kathryn said.

„But I saw them! Lots of people, children playing, and the sun was shining. There was no evidence of an explosion. Everyone was alive and happy.", Thalia exclaimed.

„You were standing here the whole time.", Kathryn stated.

B'Elanna scanned Thalia with her tricorder.

„Your central nervous system is showing a temporal flux, but it's rapidly returning to normal.", she said.

„The chain reaction has shattered subspace, Captain.", Tuvok stated.

„I want everyone to stand exactly where they are. If Tuvok's right, there may be subspace fractures floating like icebergs across the planet's surface. Away team to Voyager.", Kathryn said.

„Go ahead.", Chakotay answered.

„Five to beam up.", Kathryn said.

Then she was in the sunlight with Thalia.

[Plaza]

Kathryn tried to hail voyager with her comm badge.

„Tuvok! B'Elanna! Janeway-", she called out.

A young boy started screaming. A local law officer came over to him.

„Hey, calm down. It's all right. Now, what's the problem?", the guard asked.

„I saw them. They appeared out of thin air! They're some kind of demons. I saw them with my own eyes.", The boy answered.

„I'm sorry we startled him. We just came around the corner.", Kathryn lied.

„They're lying!", the boy stated.

„Shh. Now, calm down. You've been reading too many of those Dark Storm tales, young fellow. There's no such thing as demons.", the guard said.

„But, I'm telling you.", the boy objekted.

„Ah, ah, ah! Run along now. Have a confection bar and calm down. All right everybody, back to your business. Nothing else to see here now.", the guard stated.

The young boy left and the crowd dispersed.

„Oh, sorry about that.", the guard said.

„No problem.", Thalia replied.

„Who knows what gets into their heads, huh?", the guard asked.

„Perhaps the uniform scared him. We're not from this area.", Kathryn said.