The Caretaker (part 7)

[Array]

„Captain, I can access the system to send us back to Federation space, but it will take several hours to activate.", Tuvok told Kathryn. 

„Unless you help us.", Kathryn said, turning towards the Caretaker.

„Oh, I wish I could but I have very little time left, so I have initiated a self-destruct programme.", the Caretaker said.

„If you destroy the Array, we'll have no way to get home.", Kathryn objected.

„The Ocampa's enemies can not be allowed to control this installation. In minutes, it'll be destroyed. You have to go. Go now.", the Caretaker said.

The Kazon ship hit the Array. The holographic barn turned into the high-tech room. There was a giant purple blob at one end.

„The Caretaker?", Tuvok asked.

„Voyager, report.", Kathryn said into her comm.

„Kazon vessel Just collided with the array, Captain. Are you all right?", Tom asked.

„Affirmative. Stand by.", Kathryn said.

„The self-destruct programme has been damaged. Now this installation will not be destroyed. But it must be. The Kazon must not be allowed to gain control of it. They will annihilate the Ocampa.", the Caretaker stated.He shrank into a hand-sized rock. Kathryn picked it up.

„Shall I activate the programme to get us back?", Tuvok asked.

„And what happens to the Ocampa after we're gone?", Kathryn wanted to know.

„Captain, any action we take to protect the Ocampa would affect the balance of power in this system. The Prime Directive would seem to apply.", Tuvok said.

„Would it? We never asked to be involved, Tuvok, but we are. We are.", Kathryn objected.

[USS Voyager]

Voyager was still taking weapons fire.

„Mister Tuvok, ready the tricobalt devices.", Kathryn said.

„Aye, Captain.", Tuvok replied and did as she had told him.

„Open a channel to the Kazon.", Kathryn told Thalia

„Channel open.", Thalia stated.

„Be advised, Captain. I have called for additional ships.", Jabin stated on the viewscreen.

„I'm calling to warn you to move your vessels to a safe distance. I intend to destroy the Array.", Kathryn said.

„You can't do that!", Jabin replied.

„I can and I will. End transmission.", Kathryn said and Thalia ended the transmission.

„They're increasing fire, Captain. Shields are holding.", Harry stated.

„Move us four hundred kilometers from the Array, Mister Paris.", Kathryn told Tom.

„Yes, ma'am.", he replied and did what she said.

„What do you think you're doing? That Array is the only way we have to get back home.", B'Elanna stated. Thalia turned around to look at her.

„I'm aware everyone has families and loved ones at homes they want to get back to. So do I. But I'm not willing to trade the lives of the Ocampa for our convenience. We'll have to find another way home.", Kathryn replied.

„What other way home is there? Who is she to be making these decisions for all of us?", B'Elanna asked upset.

„She's the Captain.", Chakotay stated and B'Elanna calmed down.