The Caretaker (part 5)

[Ocampa settlement]

Thalia, Harry and B'Elanna were sitting in a dark passageway.

„Look, I'm sure Captain Janeway is doing everything she can to find us.", Harry said.

„What makes you think any of them are still alive?", B'Elanna questioned him. She winced.

„Should I call for some help?", Thalia asked, finding herself caring about the half Klingon more than she'd like to.

„No.", B'Elanna snapped.

„Are you in pain?", a nurse asked, that had found them.

„Are you watching us? I thought we weren't supposed to be your prisoners.", B'Elanna stated.

„I wasn't watching you. I was coming to give you something. I don't know if it'll help. It's a medicine. There are people who have broken from tradition and left the city. Their colony grows fruits and vegetables. They discovered quite by accident that the moss that grows on certain fruit trees has healing properties. I'm sorry for what has happened to you.", the nurse said.

„We appreciate this, but the only way we're going to survive is if we can get to the surface and find our own people.", Harry spoke for the three of them.

„The elders would say that's against the Caretaker's wishes.", the nurse told them.

„What do you say?", Thalia asked.

„The Caretaker's been behaving strangely for the past several months. Abducting people, increasing the power supply.", the nurse said.

„Power supply.", Harry repeated.

„He's tripled the energy he sends us. They say we have enough stored now to run the city for five years.", the nurse explained.

„Nobody knows why?", Harry asked.

„When we ask, we're told to trust the Caretaker's decisions. One person I knew did get to the surface. We never saw her again.", the nurse said.

„How?", Thalia wanted to know.

„The ancient tunnels that brought us here still exist. Over the years, small breaches in security barriers have appeared just large enough for someone to get through. But it still requires digging through metres of rock to get out.", the nurse told them.

„Can you get us tools to dig with?", B'Elanna asked.

„It would take days, maybe even weeks to break through. You have to rest. Conserve your strength.", the nurse objected.

„Please. It's our only chance.", Harry said.

[USS Voyager]

The EMH was treating the young girl's bruises.

„If you had told us what you had planned, we might have anticipated your irrational behaviour.", Tuvok stated.

„Irrational? We got out of there, didn't we?", Neelix asked slightly outraged.

„Excuse me. Don't blame Neelix.", the girl chimed in.

„That's enough. This is a sickbay, not a conference room. Visiting hours are over. Everyone except my patient is to leave immediately.", the EMH said.

„Computer, end Medical Holographic Programme.", Kathryn said and the EMH vanished.

„I never should have gone to the surface. I'm too curious. I'm told it's my worst failing.", the girl said.

„No, no, it's a wonderful quality. Your most endearing.", Neelix objected.

„Would you be willing to take us underground to look for our missing crew?", Kathryn asked.