Phage (part 4)

[USS Voyager]

„You're doing fine, Mister Paris. Just fine.", Kathryn told Tom.

„Thanks, Captain.", he replied.

„Sensors detect a large chamber ahead.", Tuvok said.

The chamber seemed to be full of ships.

„What the hell?", Chakotay asked.

„We appear to be seeing Voyager and the alien ship reflecting off the walls of the chamber.", Harry stated.

„Can you determine which ship is the real one?", Kathryn asked.

„No, Captain. The walls are emanating severe electro-magnetic interference. I cannot scan them directly.", Tuvok answered.

„It's like trying to move through a hall of mirrors. You never know when you're going to walk into the glass.", Kathryn said.

„I'm still picking up the alien's ion trail. Maybe we should follow that.", Tom suggested.

„He might have left a fake ion trail to lure us in here. It could lead us right into one of those walls.", Chakotay said.

„That's a chance we're going to have to take. Tuvok, extend the deflectors to maximum range. If we do run into something, it'll give us an extra margin of error. Follow the ion trail, Mister Paris, slowly. Mister Kim, continuous scans.", Kathryn said.

„Aye, Captain.", Harry replied.

-

In sickbay, Kes was talking with the doctor.

„I'll do what I can to reassure him, Doctor.", she said.

„Good. If you don't mind I'd like you to remain in sickbay so you're here when he wakes up.", the doctor said.

„Of course. Are you all right?", Kes wanted to know.

„Me?", The doctor asked confused.

„You seem agitated about something.", Kes explained.

„Of course I'm agitated. This entire situation is getting out of control.", the doctor exclaimed.

„You mean Neelix.", Kes said.

„First they tell me there's no doctor, so I have to be on call twenty four hours a day. And then they tell me there are no nurses so I have no one to assist me.", the doctor stated.

„I thought Tom Paris was assigned to you. Also I heard Thalia Zat is a nurse.", Kes said.

„Like I said, no one to assist me. Tho lieutenant Zat does help out once in a while. And now I have a patient with severe and possibly long term emotional problems and there's no counsellor on board. I am an emergency medical supplement. A supplement, that's all. I wasn't programmed for any of this. It's just unacceptable.", the doctor replied.

„I don't know anything about holographic engineering, but if you want my opinion, you haven't been acceptable, you've been remarkable.", Kes told the doctor.

„I've only done what the programme allows me to.", he replied.

„Give yourself some credit. You saved his life. You did, not some programme.", Kes stated.

„It may seem that way to you.", the doctor said.

„That's exactly how it seems.", Kes agreed.

„You're very kind.", the doctor told her.

„How does a real doctor learn to deal with patient's emotional problems anyway?", Kes wanted to know.

„They learn from experience.", the doctor explained.