Chapter 6: The Competiton

Coco's POV
I decided to pay a little visit to Bree. I went to their house the door was open so I just walked in. "Bree? Camera?" I called out in their house. Then I heard Bree's voice outside. Her and Camera were in their pool area. I went through the cat flap to see them. Camera was swimming, lap after lap. "Oh hi Coco! Camera's just training for the swim team." Swim team? Oh I just realized! The first competition for swimming is tomorrow! Bailey's on the swim team! "Oh did you know Bailey's on the swim team?" I told them. Camera stopped swimming for a second. "Wait what? What are his races?" Camera asked me. I wasn't actually sure what his races were. "I don't know, what are yours?" I asked instead. "Um, 50m freestyle, 50m butterfly, 25m backstroke, 25m kickboard, 25m breaststroke. Oh and the medley relay. I'm the captain of the Little Red Swim Team." Is camera that good? Although dogs do tend to be better swimmers than cats right? But maybe I'm wrong! "How's school captain going?" I asked Bree. "Yeah it's been good." I decided to report back to Bailey about the races that Camera is doing. As I was walking, I got a text on my pet phone. Yeah there's now pet phones. It was from Paisley. "Hey Coco! Guess what? Atlas and I are now together? I'm so happy!" Atlas and Paisley are now a thing YAY!

The next day

Bailey's POV
I'm excited and nervous. We're going to start the competition at 8:45. I'm in the car, shaking. What if I do bad in the races? Coco told me about Camera, I don't know how good Camera is at swimming, but she must be good because she's captain. Everyone in DSP is going to be watching. It's a home game though so Little Red's swim team is coming to us. Once we arrive, say bye and get our bags out we walk onto the school grounds. I was about to go over to my friends but someone interrupted my walking. "Hi!" Skye. That's fine if Skye interrupts me. As long as it's not someone annoying. "Hi." I responded. She was smiling. "I heard you're on the swim team against little red! I'll be cheering you on!" She exclaimed. "Thanks, Skye. DSP is so going to win." I replied. We nodded and then I walked to my friends. Before I could say hi, Stewart interrupted. "Woah there, you're meant to already be at the pool!" I am?! Might explain why Elton isn't there. As I ran off, I said thanks to Stewart and ran to the pool. as I entered, our swim team seemed ready. I put on my goggles and I was ready. Some wear caps, I don't, personally. Too uncomfortable. "Okay! Bailey you're up on the first race 50m freestyle." I nodded. First race? I'm on it? When it was 8:44, everyone in DSP was in the seating stands. Then the Little Red swim team arrived. coco had told me she knew 2 others on their swim team. Someone called Alaine and our neighbor, Camera. They all had their goggles and/or caps on. They were ready. They put their swimming backs on this big bench opposite to ours. They talked to their coach a bit and they were ready. My nervous feelings were back. "50m Freestyle." It sounded on some speaker. I positioned myself on the diving board. Camera I think was next to me. She was also diving. "Ready.. set... go!" We all plunged into the water and started to swim. I have no idea who is ahead and who is behind. Are we dominating? Is little red dominating? After I did my flip I had to go back to the start, hoping I'd reach a place on the podium. When I finished, Arthur was the only other finished. Arthur was first and I was second. We won that race! Camera came third. Once everyone in that race had finished we all got out. DSP was cheering loudly. "25m Freestyle." Not me. Arthur and Camera, the captains, shook paws. Good sportsmanship. I sat and wait for the next race. "50m Backstroke" I'm up again. We had lost the 25m freestyle. Elton and Paisley did secure 2nd and 3rd place though. I started in the water for backstroke. I'm confident I'm going to win this, but not too confident that I jinx myself.  "Ready.. set go!" I was moving like rapid fire. Flip. I had almost finished! When I finished there was no one else. Arthur and this cat from Little Red were currently tied in what place they may come. They tied in 2nd place. Odd occasion. Either way, DSP still won. "Go Bailey! Go Bailey! Go, Go Bailey!" I heard Artemis cheer from the stands. I gave her a paws up and got out of the water. Once the cat from Little Red got out, I decided to speak to her. "Hey, are you Alaine by any chance?" She looked at me and nodded. "If I'm being completely honest, Little Red's pretty good." I told her. Although DSP is better any day. "You got good sportsmanship there." She told me and we walked off to our benches. I laid down for the next 2 races. Arthur was staring into a space. Elton just won by a second on the 50m butterfly. For a second, I thought Camera was going to win it. "25m Butterfly." I'm up, again. So is Arthur again and Alaine it looks like. I'm diving for this. "Ready set go!" We started to swim. "Go Arthur! Go Arthur! Go, go Arthur!" I heard Artemis and Akira chanting. Finally I had finished. Alaine and Arthur were done. I was third. "Who won?" I called out to Arthur. "Little Red." He called out to me. Alaine had won this race. We got out. "50m Breastroke." Not me! I only recognized Alaine, Elton and Paisley. Paisley was so going to win this. "Go Paisley! Go paisley! Go, go Paisley!" I heard chanting. I even heard Atlas. Yeah atlas told me that Paisley is his girlfriend now. But Paisley didn't win. Paisley stopped in the middle. "Ouch my leg." She cried. The whole DSP had no idea what was going on. Oh Paisley's leg! Alaine then won the race with Elton coming second. Arthur and I helped pull Paisley out of the water. Along with Camera. "Here let me help." She said. Yeah Paisley shouldn't have swam. "Yeah Paisley, you can't swim anymore today." Arthur said to her. She looked as if she was in pain but nodded in agreement with Arthur. Atlas came running down. "Paisley?! You okay?!" Atlas asked her worrying. She put her front paw that wasn't sprained on Atlas' shoulder. "I'm okay. But I can't swim anymore today." He helped her get to the bench.

Fast forward to the medley.

We had won the 25m breaststroke but we tied for kickboard, this medley relay would determine the true winner. Arthur had to fill in for Paisley in it because Paisley was meant to be in the relay. So Arthur was going twice. Freestyle and Breaststroke in the medley. I was doing backstroke. We took our positions. I got into the water from the opposite end. "Ready, set, go!" Alaine and Arthur were doing freestyle. I could hear DSP and the rest of the Little Red swim team cheering. Alaine got there first but Arthur came in close. I started to do backstroke against Camera. I had finished, Elton started to do butterfly, Camera then made it. I had overtaken her. Elton was fast with it. He gave Arthur a paws up and Arthur started the breaststroke. Little Red was left behind, Arthur was winning this for us. DSP was getting louder and louder! Then there he was! He made it! We all erupted into cheers, yelling and congratulating. A whole herd of dogs and cats came running down from the stands. They all lifted Arthur in the air. "ARTHUR! ARTHUR!" Arthur looked happier then ever. Suddenly I got lifted! Then Elton! DSP was carrying us around chanting our names. Cindy was holding a camera. "Smile!" She said. We smiled and she took the picture and gave us a paws up. This was easily one of the best moments in my life.