Chapter 27

Day 18 on Mars

It'd been fourteen hours without Alex.
The sun was about to start rising.
They were very aware of the fact that her oxygen wouldn't last much longer.

Lena was exhausted already and this day hadn't even begun. "I think a couple of us should go North this time, if the wind was going East and a bit to the South, maybe she realized it and went North instead of continuing East."

"Yeah, if she was hurt or she was anywhere East we would have found her yesterday, she's gotta be hiding somewhere." Maggie was hopeful, she was half expecting (and full-on dreading) to find a body the day before so she took it as a good sign when they didn't.

"Suit up, Supergirl."

"Sam, can we trust you two?"

"Yeah, it'll be better for all of us if we're out there, ask Nia's back if you don't believe me."

"Okay, just—"

"Please tell— tell me Nia is here." Nobody had heard the doors, nor the helmet dropping. Alex was suddenly there, on her knees, looking around desperately until she caught sight of Nia and visibly relaxed. Then she couldn't see anything else, she just felt Kara and Sam surrounding her.
They helped her out of the suit and took her to a chair.

"Of course the storm threw me off balance, I might've hit a rock, I don't know, but I couldn't get up for a while. Then I started going North because that's the only thing I could do without falling. I found a cave and figured it was best to stay put until morning, I have no idea what happened with the comms, but it's not like I could look into it."

"But are you okay?" Her sister was clinging to her like a koala, Sam was at her other side stroking her hand.

"I'm fine."

"You should eat something and rest, though."

"That'd be nice. I'm sorry I worried you, guys."

"Please, we barely noticed you were gone, Danvers."

"What Maggie means is: it wasn't your fault, Alex. We're happy you're back." Lena finally took Kara away from Alex so she could hug her herself.

"Oh, I know what Maggie means. Did you lose another bet with me coming back so soon, Sawyer?"

"I would have won this one but you weren't here to make the bet. Don't do it again." Maggie's arms were around her and Nia was soon joining them.

"I'll try not to." She answered when they let her go. She reached for Sam's hand again and led her to their room. "See you in a few hours."

Lena followed them with some food for Alex before leaving them alone. She ate in silence, with Sam rubbing circles on her back.

"Are you really okay?" The question came as soon as she finished her meal.

"I am... exhausted mostly."

"You don't have to be strong all the time, Alex, not here." Sam kissed her temple and Alex melted into her.

It wasn't right away, but she felt Alex getting comfortable in her arms and getting ready to talk.

"I was so scared at first, for Nia mostly, to be honest. But then once I was in that cave I just kept thinking about you, and what if I couldn't go back, what if I ran out of oxygen... Kara's finally so happy, and she's lost so much already, she couldn't— I couldn't—"

Sam hugged her as she let it all out, with soothing movements and little head kisses. Her heart broke for Alex and what she went through. The shock of the dust storm, not knowing if Nia was okay, not knowing if she herself was going to be.
But she was safe then and they were together, so everything was going to be okay.

___________
Next chapterrr :)
Thank you for reading and keep smiling.
Have a wonderful day<33