3 | lying to my therapist

James and Regulus had fallen into a sort of rhythm by the end of the week. And by that, they did their best not to get in each other's way, they didn't talk about Sirius and James didn't tackle him anymore. It was a fair trade, in James's mind, it made things go a lot smoother. He had contemplated apologizing but figured Regulus would get over it eventually. If the roles were reversed, Regulus never would have apologized.

James had gotten out of the shower and realized that he had left his clothes on his bed. "Damn it," he muttered, running a hand through his wet hair. He dried off a bit so he wouldn't track too much water through the cabin before wrapping the towel around his waist and leaving the bathroom.

Regulus was focused on whatever book he was reading until he heard the bathroom door open. He glanced over but returned to his book. He did a double take and he raised an eyebrow as he watched the practicality naked Gryffindor, cross the room to grab the pile of clothes he had left on his bed.

James turned around and stopped when he saw Regulus staring at him. "Sorry," James apologized and it was the most they had said since the fight the other day, "I - I thought I grabbed my clothes but I guess I didn't."

"Clearly," Regulus replied, his gaze flickering down the boy's body before he returned to his book. "Are you just going to stand there all day or are you going to go get ready so we can head out?"

James swallowed, shaking his head, "No, yeah, I'm gonna - yeah, I'm gonna get ready." He started toward the bathroom and he could just catch the trace of a smirk on Regulus's lips.

He was able to finish getting ready and joined Regulus once more. "Remind me to pick a longer book next time you're getting ready for something, would you?" he requested. He stood up and made his way to the door, "I've never met anyone who takes such a ridiculously long time to get ready. I do think that you beat my brother on that one." James stopped in his tracks at this, as Regulus opened the door. He glanced back with a raised eyebrow, "Now I know you didn't take that long to get ready just for my benefit so let's go."

He watched in confusion but did as requested, following Regulus out the door. Now that James was fully clothed and not distracted, he was able to take in the boy's attire. He tucked his hands into his seemingly freshly ironed black slacks. His button down shirt was rolled up to his forearms and James thought the attire was rather formal for a bonfire. But if he were being honest, Regulus pulled it off.

Once they had arrived and checked in at the campfire, Regulus immediately parted from the boy, going Merlin knows where. James wandered for a bit before he eventually took a seat on one of the logs.

He had been having a decent time at the camp. He had expected it to be prolonged, boring and awkward and somehow he had only been partially correct. But it was in moments like these that he realized that all he needed in his life were his friends and his family and he would be set for life. It was nothing against those at the camp but they just weren't the same. Then again, he had lucked out with the group of friends he had. James jumped when a water droplet fell on his arm and he frowned slightly.

James looked up at the sky as a few more droplets of rain fell on his face. He closed his eyes and remained like that until someone grabbed his arm. He looked over to find Regulus looking down at him, "Come on, they want us to head back to our cabins before it pours. Apparently there's a bad storm coming. They're canceling all of the activities that were planned for tomorrow."

"Oh," was all he said in response and Regulus's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. The two made their way to the cabin in silence, just as they had gone to the bonfire. Except they didn't make it before it started downpouring. Regulus grabbed James's hand, taking him by surprise and ran through the trail that led to the cabin. James's heart was racing in his chest as the boy led him through the pouring rain. He tried to pull him up the stairs but James stopped him. "You go in without me."

"Are you insane?" Regulus demanded, dropping the boy's hand and stepping under the overhang. James had proven to be different than Regulus had been expecting and not in a good way. He was rather difficult and always throwing him off his guard. "You can't stay out here, you'll get sick."

James snorted at this, "I'll be okay, I promise. I'll be inside in a bit." Regulus hesitated for a brief moment, glancing at the door that led to safety before looking back at the boy. With a heavy sigh, he walked back down the stairs, joining James in the rain. "What are you doing?"

"I'm not entirely sure," he replied honestly and James turned to face him fully. "I figured you would fill me in."

"I love the rain," was all he said, turning to look out into the woods.

"Why?"

"I don't know," he shrugged, "I always have. It's almost...cathartic, I suppose." James closed his eyes once more, looking up at the sky. If his eyes were open he would have noticed Regulus staring at him with a look of both bafflement and awe. "It's like the world is cleansing itself, you know? Trying to right itself and we get to witness that. It's beautiful."

"Yeah, beautiful," Regulus muttered in response. He shook his head, pulling himself from his thoughts, "We really should head inside and get cleaned up. I doubt you want to get sick."

James sighed, a slight frown on his face, "Yeah you're probably right." The two started up the stairs, "Have you ever danced in the rain before?"

"Can't say that I have."

"You should," James said, "You may learn something about yourself." And then he disappeared into the bathroom without another word.