9 | close my eyes and count

"Arrête de faire l'andouille," Regulus said in a hushed tone. Sirius narrowed his eyes on the boy. Stop acting stupidly, he had said. Sirius' eyes were ablaze with anger as his brother spoke down to him.

One second, they were leaving Potions and the next, Sirius and Regulus were arguing over something in French. James and Remus had no idea how they got to this point and they weren't sure what to do about it. It was alarming, for a handful of reasons. On the one hand, they could have been arguing about anything. Anything. And on the other hand, they normally stuck to avoiding each other at all costs, so what provoked this conversation to occur in the first place?

"I am not acting stupidly," he responded in French. It was abundantly clear that Sirius was on edge, his hands were shaking and his expression was sharp. Sirius pointed his finger at the boy, "You presume that anyone who doesn't act as you do is beneath you. Anyone who's different is the problem. Now that is acting stupidly."

"You'd do well to stop talking, Sirius," Regulus said pointedly. It unnerved James with how easily Regulus could keep his cool in such a heightened situation. There was every reason to be upset and yet Regulus appeared as though he couldn't care less.He glanced around, "You never do think of the consequences of your actions. Of how you affect people."

"Just stay away from me and my friends, you understand?" Sirius spat. "I'm done with you and your family. I want nothing to do with any of you."

Regulus faltered slightly at his words. James didn't really understand what was being said. While he had picked up a few French phrases, he didn't know it enough to follow. But what he did know is that whatever Sirius had said, struck a nerve. Despite Regulus's calm and collected expression throughout, something shifted in his demeanor.

"Should we do something?" James asked Remus quietly.

Remus frowned, "I'm not sure." James didn't like that answer, he didn't like it at all. He wanted to help them. "Maybe they need to talk?"

"If that's how you'll have it," Regulus said in response, this time in English. Sirius's shoulders slumped at this, the tension leaving the two. "I'll give you what you want."

"Wait, Reg-" Sirius tried but the boy had already walked away.

"Pads?" James said from behind him. They moved closer to him, "Padfoot, what just happened?"

"Something that probably should have happened years ago," Sirius said as he turned to face the boys. James's heart broke at the expression on his face, a piece of him shattering with his best friend. "I - I think I'm going to head to bed early. You lot enjoy supper, okay?"

"Sirius-" Remus said but the boy shook his head. He frowned, "Okay, I'll bring you some food after."

Sirius walked away at this and Remus watched him disappear. James turned to him, "I'll meet you in the Hall. There's something I need to do first." Remus watched him curiously but nodded, the pair parting ways.

James wasn't entirely sure what his plan was when he caught up to the boy. If he could even manage to catch up. He just knew that he needed to make sure he was okay. There was no way that either of them would talk about what had happened but he could try. It never hurt to try.

"Regulus," James spoke clearly and the boy stopped in his tracks. He didn't turn to face the boy, however, but he didn't run away either. James moved closer and glanced around to make sure they were alone. "Reggie..." he trailed off and the boy's shoulders fell, "Are you okay?"

Regulus turned at this, searching James's expression, "What are you doing here? Why aren't you with my brother?"

"We still aren't on the best terms," he explained, "He'd rather be alone anyway. He usually prefers it that way."

"Seems my brother and I do have something in common after all," Regulus said simply before turning to walk away. James was quick to grab his arm, stopping him once more. Regulus turned to look at him, "What is that you want from me, Potter?

"That's a loaded question, Reg," he said pointedly. "But I'll settle for what I came after you for. I just want to make sure that you're okay." James watched the boy cautiously, his other hand grabbing the boy's hand. Regulus stiffened but didn't let go, "I - I don't know what was said between you two but I know it upset you. You don't need to hide that."

Regulus shook his head, "You're a fool, James Potter. You don't know what you're talking about."

"I do, actually," he countered. That was one thing he was fairly confident in and he wouldn't waver. "You aren't as hard to read as you like to make everyone think."

He narrowed his eyes, "I don't need you coming to check on me."

"Then why haven't you let go of my hand yet?" James inquired, his lip pulling upward in the cocky way that drove Regulus nuts. The pair looked down at their conjoined hands and Regulus pulled away. "I know what you're trying to do but it won't work. I don't give up easily, just ask your brother."

"I don't know what you want from me," he countered, scanning the hall to make sure nobody was lingering. "I can't give you what you want. You know that."

"I think you can," he replied. "You're just scared."

"You don't know me, Potter," he informed him, "You know nothing about me."

"You may be right," James agreed, "But I would love to learn." Regulus was speechless at this, his normal quick responses lost and James added, "Meet me on the seventh floor near the troll tapestry later tonight. Around eight. If you don't show, I'll let it go."

Regulus's eyes narrowed, "That's not happening."

He scanned the boy's face and shrugged, "Whatever you say. I'll see you tonight."