chapter 23: haunted

One evening, as the office lights dimmed and the city outside echoed with the sounds of life moving on, one of Gio's longtime staff, Sandy, approached him. Concern etched across her face, she hesitated before speaking.

Sandy: "Sir Gio, we've all noticed how hard you've been pushing yourself lately. Your dedication to work is commendable, but it seems like there's something deeper going on. Are you okay?"

Gio, his gaze fixed on the stack of papers in front of him, hesitated before responding.

Gio: "I appreciate the concern, Sandy, but I'm fine. Just trying to stay focused on work and keep my mind off things."

Sarah, undeterred, pulled up a chair and sat beside him.

Sarah: "Sir Gio, we're all here for you. Work is important, but so is your well-being. You can't keep burying yourself in this endless cycle. Have you talked to someone about what you're going through?"

Gio, reluctant to open up, sighed before speaking.

Gio: "It's just...Miel and I, it didn't work out. I thought throwing myself into work would help me move on, forget the pain, but it's not that simple."

Sandy, empathetic, offered a reassuring smile.

Sandy: "Gio, work can be a distraction, but it's not a solution. It's okay to feel the pain, to grieve. Maybe talking to someone—friends, family, or even a professional—could help you navigate through this."

Gio, looking down at his hands, nodded in contemplation.

Gio: "Maybe you're right. I've been avoiding dealing with it, and it's taking a toll on me."

Sandy: "You don't have to face this alone, Sir Gio. Let those walls down, even if it's just a little. We're here for you, as  your staff and friends."

As the night settled in, Gio began to realize that the fortress he built around himself couldn't shield him from the emotional storm within. With Sandy's words echoing in his mind, he contemplated the possibility of seeking the support he so desperately needed to mend the fragments of his wounded heart. The path to healing, though daunting, seemed to emerge in the acknowledgment of his pain and the willingness to let others in.

Gio, grappling with the realization that his self-imposed isolation wasn't a sustainable solution, finally nodded in acknowledgment of Sarah's words.

Gio: "You might be right, Sandy. I can't keep avoiding this forever. Maybe it's time to face what I've been running from."

Sandy, offering an encouraging smile, patted Gio gently on the back.

Sandy: "That's the first step, Gio. We're not just coworkers; we're here for each other. And I believe talking about it could bring you some relief."

Encouraged by the support around him, Gio decided to take a step towards opening up. The next day, he reached out to a close friend, Alex, inviting him for coffee after work. As they sat in a quiet corner of the café, Gio found the courage to share the depth of his emotions.

Gio: "Alex, I've been drowning myself in work, trying to forget Miel and the pain that came with our breakup. But it's not working. I need someone to talk to, someone who can help me make sense of all this."

Alex, a reliable friend who had witnessed the highs and lows of Gio's life, listened attentively.

Alex: "Gio, it's okay to feel the pain, and it's okay to seek help. Maybe talking to a professional could give you the guidance you need to navigate through this."