139

After almost an hour of wiping down the sword carefully enough not to break it, some strangely familiar patterns and appropriately placed multicolored jewels began to appear. Most of the jewels were dark, close to being black.

I knew why the patterns felt familiar. The pattern that was engraved into the handle of the sword was something that was often used by the royal family. One of the traits that black magic had was that it resembled a thin string, and, even if nobody had actually seen it, it’s been said that it takes the shape of a hurricane when it’s in use. The royal family modified the hurricane shape slightly to a decorative pattern, and then used that pattern in everything that they used.

I traced the royal patterns to where all of the hurricanes pet. At the base of the end of the pattern, one person’s name was written in fancy handwriting.

“Lesleyan Orde Ianess…..”

It was a familiar name. I was a bit surprised as I murmured the name out loud.

I knew that name well from my history class.

Lesleyan Orde Ianess was the first emperor of our empire. Lesleyan was known as the first emperor, but he was also known as the tragic emperor.

The death of a dragon marked the beginning of the Orde Empire’s founding.

Lesleyan, who was the strongest swordsman of them all, learned that he would become even more powerful after gaining a dragon’s heart. Hearing this, he challenged a dragon, something incredibly close to a god.

His mission had been successful–and with the dragon’s heart, he had become imbued with an incredible amount of magic and had founded the empire, but his end was tragic. Right before the dragon had died, it had cursed him to lose all of his family, relatives, and even close friends.

Hestia was the one that really knew the founding myth and the details behind it. Hestia knew the entire history of the empire down pat, so she would be able to provide more information about it.

Anyway, the most important fact at the moment was that the sword that I now had was one that belonged to the famous emperor Lesleyan. If the Orde Empire’s founding myth was true, then did that mean that he killed the black dragon with this sword?

I read through the strange energy that remained in the sword as my heart raced. The incomplete shards of black magic that remained in my body seemed to react to the magic in the sword. The magic in the sword seemed to be screaming at me to absorb it into myself. I unknowingly licked my lips.

“I feel like I could absorb it…..”

This magic wasn’t laid out in order or in a pattern. That meant that there wasn’t any black magic spell cast on the sword. It was just imbued with pure black magic. Moreover, the magic within the sword seemed pure, unused, and strong.

If the black magic within me was the equivalent of an expired sandwich from a convenience store, then the magic within the sword was akin to the royal desserts that Hylli shared from time to time.

I closed my hand and held my hand above the sword.

As soon as my hand touched the sword and I tried to touch the magic within it, the magic in the sword shifted, as if it had been waiting for me, and absorbed into my body.

Clean, powerful magic swirled in my body as it entered. It itched, but it was enough to bear.

“…….holy shit.”

The unnerving black magic within my body had been completely purified.

The amount of magic within me didn’t change too much. However, the quality of my magic, which had been lowered because of the mixed fragments within it, had gotten higher. That meant that I was able to use both normal magic and black magic now.