Dancing in our light (4)

...

As Shinichi closed the door behind them, Shiho waited for him, she frowned her eyebrows;

"Have you prepared a disguise for yourself? You're supposed to be dead after all."

The great detective rolled his eyes and put on his cap;

"Tsk -this cap is sufficient."

The woman adjusted her wig as she responded:

"I suppose we'll be walking, right?"

Kudo nodded:

"Yeah, I don't want Hakase to drive us there he could be a target and public transport isn't ideal if we want to escape."

At that, the partners walked. Shinichi estimated it would take them around 30 minutes to walk there. They were both oddly silent and the awkwardness between them remained. Haibara in her now adult body was almost as tall as him, she was looking at the floor as she walked, and Kudo thought it was an opportunity to talk about something. Hopefully, she wouldn't dismiss him.

"Say, Haibara."

He then realized he had no idea what to talk about. Ai stared at him, raising an eyebrow. He snickered awkwardly as she glanced at him. Her icy eyes were locked to his, waiting for him to continue whatever he had in mind. He slightly shivered.

"I just thought we could break the ice between us."

Haibara smirked once he had confessed to her his intentions;

"Ara, and I deduce that you have no idea what to say...?"

Shinichi was annoyed about her teasing but he had to admit it was refreshing to hear after a good while of silence. He figured he'd flow with her tease as well;

"At least I tried initiating, unlike someone."

Haibara let a small giggle and quickly put on her usual serious facade as she told him:

"Why not talk to me about your favorite character, Sherlock Holmes? I know how it feels to talk about something you love."

He stopped thinking straight at the word love.

He always had found love hard to show-especially romantic love.

It was hard to keep up with the woman of his life Hai- I mean Ran. His inner monologue was stirred up. Haibara was his partner in solving crimes and Ran was his love partner but when was the last time he and Ran talked seriously about their feelings...?

His swirling thoughts were interrupted by a light tap on his back, the tap came from a soft and refined hand. It was Haibara's.

"Are you perhaps preparing a paragraph about Sherlock Holmes in that brain of yours...?"

He relaxed his temple, trying to concentrate more on the present situation instead.

"Well...There is a lot to discuss but let me start with 'The Golden Pince-Nez'...To resume, the Culprit, Anna..."

Shinichi had talked about this certain Anna's backstory with compassion, analyzing every inch of it and asking Haibara for her opinion. he'd say he found the story quite underrated but wanted to share the story with her. Ai was genuinely interested and perfectly followed him.

Ran.

She'd usually dismiss his passion for the great Sherlock Holmes as a stupid obsession. It hurt that the woman he was willing to spend the rest of his life with didn't like a part of him.