(6) Dead

Season 1, Episode 4: Vatos

October 4th, Day 61

Rory never really learned anything in school, but that didn't mean she didn't know anything. She wasn't all completely stupid.

Lori put an arm on her shoulder, "Rory," the child didn't answer, looking at the clouds.

"I'm scared," Rory spoke quietly, causing Lori to sigh.

"It's okay."

Rory looked up at Lori, "I'm sorry. I'm okay." She grins.

"What happened?" Rory asked, looking at the blood on Shane's swollen knuckles.

She wasn't with the girls washing clothes as they told her to not worry about the adult stuff. She knew something about a fight, but didn't know the extent of it all.

"Fight with Ed," Shane replied coolly.

Rory sat down beside him, "Do you fight a lot?"

He glanced over at him. "Well, I was in the police force so yeah."

"Isn't that illegal?"

"No."

Rory looked down at the ground. "Is Ed okay? Not that I care but..."

"He's fine, unfortunately," Shane sighed, narrowing his eyes.

"I feel bad for Sophia and Mrs. Peletier," Rory mumbled quietly. "He shouldn't be a father or a husband."

"I had a talk with Lori," Shane said, finishing patching up his hands. "Told me to stay away from Carl, and... for some reason, you. You're not her kid, though." He shook his head. "Your nobody's in camp, so nobody can tell you what to do."

"I want to ask you something."

"No."

"Please, just a few. About Mr. Grimes."

Shane sighed. "Jesus Christ, Rory. I don't have time for talking."

"You said he was dead," Rory's voice was quiet, wavering. "Why? Carl was sad."

"Take no for a goddamn answer for once," Shane snapped, standing up. "He was dead, I know it. I didn't hear any breathing."

Rory breathed shaky breaths. He was telling the truth, wasn't he? She wasn't very trusting, she couldn't be. Not when Shane had lied. Carl was sad, Lori was sad... Shane was sad, wasn't he? Didn't he mourn with Carl and Lori? She shouldn't care, but she did. Rick was a wonderful father.

Rory's father... no, she didn't have one. But then why were her memories so confusing?

"Fine," Rory sighed, looking lost in thought. "I believe you for now."

Shane sighed, "Good."

"Hey, Jim. Jim, why don't you hold up, all right? Just give me a second here, please."

"What do you want?"

"We're all just a little concerned, that's all."

"Dale says you've been out here for hours." Shane said.

"So?"

"So why are you digging? Are you heading to China, Jim?" Shane laughed.

"What does it matter? I'm not hurting anyone."

"Yeah, except maybe yourself. It's a hundred degrees today. You can't keep this up." Dale said.

"Sure I can. Watch me."