5a- The Ghost

Mercedes
Washington Lodge
02:03

"She- she wasn't up there?" Mercedes asked, looking up at Chris as he walked down the stairs.

"I don't know... I didn't see her. She must have come down here." Chris shrugged.

"We haven't seen her either." Ashley spoke softly, looking at Mercedes quickly, her eyes full of worry.

"Uhm, when I woke up earlier, I uh- all these candles and balloons were here then. Maybe.. maybe Sam followed them." Mercedes mumbled.

"Let's go then." Chris said quietly. They started following the arrows on the balloons and the candles. As they passed a few candles, one of them suddenly lit, making Ashley jump and scream.

"Did that just happen?" Ashley's voice broke as she spoke.

"Dammit! What is going on around here?" Chris grumbled.

It was silent for a few moments before Chris spoke again.

"Wait.. 'Cedes.. you said your door was locked right?" Chris asked softly.

"Uhm.. yeah. I uh, I woke up and when I went to leave the room, the door was locked. And Josh's bag was gone." She nodded, her arms crossed over Josh's bloody jacket that she had on.

"And- and you said you had a headache. And feel faint. Like you were.. drugged or something?" Chris asked.

"I mean.. I've never been drugged before, but yeah, I guess." She shrugged.

"God, this is so messed up." Ashley sobbed. "Everything with the seance, and- and Josh, and you getting locked in your room?"

"Tell me about it." Chris grumbled.

Ashley exhaled and looked up, chewing her lip.

"Chris.." She trailed off.

He was in the middle of calling Sam's name but stopped and looked back at Ashley. "Yeah?"

"Chris.. I just wanna say.. what happened back there in the shed... I know how hard that was... Josh was your friend..." Ashley spoke weakly, making Mercedes look up, her face scrunched up.

"Ashley stop.." Chris mumbled.

"No, I want to say.. I mean thank you- thank you for saving my life.." Ashley sobbed slightly but wiped her face.

"Ash... what was I gonna do? I... I couldn't let anything happen to you... I couldn't..." Chris mumbled.

"Wait.. what?" Mercedes mumbled, looking up at them. "What.. what happened? How.. why are you thanking him?"

Ashley and Chris looked at each other, and Chris sighed.

"Uhm, well, 'Cedes.." He mumbled, looking down at the ground.

"Chris.. what?" She asked.

"Uhm, the uh, the maniac, he asked me to uh, choose between Ashley and Josh." Chris mumbled.

"What..?" She whispered, looking up.

"I had to choose to save Ash or Josh.. and I uh.." Chris trailed off.