Void

On Wednesday 14th of November 1990, Mary had been avoiding a certain dark-haired figure for nearly two weeks. Initially, she had intended to skip just that one lesson on the Monday after the horrendous Friday evening. However, the longer Mary avoided the Potions Master, the harder it became to face his wrath. Mary knew her prolonged absence from the lesson was causing more damage to their original disagreement had ever done.

"You know you can't avoid him forever", Clary noted. The blonde girl was laying on the floor in front of the flickering fireplace, attempting to finish her essay on the History of Magic.

Mary put down her quill and sighed, "I know", she said, "I just don't know what to say".

"You probably don't have to say anything", Clary pointed out, "I don't reckon he wants to speak with you any more than you do with him".

"Yeah, you may be right", Mary said.

After finishing their essays, Clary had headed to the Great Hall, but Mary wasn't hungry.

"You mean you don't want to risk seeing him, as you know he usually has dinner around half past seven in the evening?" the blonde Slytherin had pointed out.

Mary had scoffed her off and made her way back to her secret reading spot. As Mary entered the dark and drafty corridor, she made sure she was alone and sat down on the cold bench at the back of the corridor.

Mary opened A. H. Herrington's book and started reading it. She had only forty-five left before she would -yet again- finish the book. Fortunately, it was nearly Christmas and Mary's uncle had promised to come and visit Mary during the holidays and bring some of Mary's belongings, aka. more books.

Mary jumped into the adventurous life of Louisa Cameron and as she did so, she lost all sense of reality. She no longer felt the cold and hard surface of the stone bench. She no longer saw the flickering light that created dancing shadows on the castle walls. She no longer heard the echoing steps of someone coming down the stairs. She didn't hear how the mysterious creature stopped for a moment. She didn't hear how they drew a deep breath and grunted before they started approaching her.

"Miss Montgomery", a deep, velvety voice pulled Mary's attention away from the book, "may I ask you, what are you doing here?"

Mary froze, as she immediately recognized who that silky voice belonged to. She slowly turned her head only to see the dark figure towering over her.

"Professor Snape", she squeaked. Unable to say anything else, she just stared into Professor Snape's dark onyx eyes. Like usually, it was nearly impossible to deduct Snape's inner state of mind, as his eyes were always so emotionless. On the other hand, Mary gladly faced emotionless Professor Snape if the other option was a furious one.

"I asked you a question". There was something about the demanding tone in Professor Snape's voice that made Mary's blood boil.

No, why are YOU here? This is MY secret spot.

And now Professor Snape had found it.

"Why are you asking?" Mary questioned. Snape's eyes were no longer emotionless.

"I beg your pardon?", he raised an eyebrow and slightly tilted his head, clearly not pleased with Mary's protesting tone.

"May I remind you, that you have been absent from the Potions for the past two weeks. I highly encourage you to fix your tone if you wish to complete your Potions studies and become a Potions Master yourself", Professor Snape spat. His eyes glittered dangerously as he continued attacking Mary, "If you go against me like this one more time, Miss Montgomery, I will personally make sure that you will never become a Potions Master!"