Book

A fading daylight danced across the castle grounds as Mary observed the crowd of students crossing the courtyard. Snowflakes floated in the air, making it difficult to distinguish the faces of the students who were crossing the courtyard. Then, Mary noticed two familiar looking figures walking right behind a gigantic figure. Fred, George and Hagrid, Mary thought.

"Look, Clary, the students are returning from the holidays!" Mary announced without taking her gaze off the red-headed twins.

"Oh, right. I forgot it was today", Clary mumbled. She was currently struggling with her Transfiguration essay, which was due Friday.

"Need help with that?" Mary asked when she noticed the rather tense sound within Clary's voice. Clary blinked her eyes and lifted her chin so that she could see Mary's face.

"No, no. I'm fine. Besides, shouldn't you be mentally preparing for tomorrow?" the young Slytherin smirked and tilted her head towards her left shoulder. Confused, Mary furrowed her brows.

"What do you mean?" Mary asked.

Clary giggled and pointed towards the direction of the Potions Classroom.

"Shit", Mary slipped.

Clary's giggle transformed into a laughter as Mary's face dropped. Unfortunately, Mary had completely forgotten that it would be Friday tomorrow. And Friday meant double lesson of Potions with Professor Snape.

"Just try not to step on his toes", Clary said and continued writing her essay.

Mary mumbled that she would try her best and turned her gaze back to the castle grounds.

****

The rest of the day went quietly. Clary finished her essay and Mary welcomed the Weasley twins back to the castle. Although the shadow of tomorrow's troubles lingered in the back of Mary's mind, she didn't allow them to disturb a perfectly nice evening with Clary and the Weasley twins.

"What are you going to say to him?" asked George Weasley.

Mary raised her shoulders and shook her head. "Nothing. And if he hasn't lost his mind, he won't say anything to me either", the young Slytherin said.

George nodded in agreement.

"What if he has lost his mind?" added Fred.

"What?" Mary asked.

"That he decides to talk to you", the red-haired Gryffindor explained.

Mary rolled her eyes.

"Well, it depends on what he says", she giggled.

"Fair enough", said George.

****

It was now Friday evening, and Mary and Clary were heading towards the dungeons. Mary hadn't been able to think nothing, but the upcoming Potions lesson all day. She could feel her breath getting shorter and her heart beating heavily in her chest.

Just survive this lesson.

The two Slytherin girls had now reached the bottom of the stairs, and the dimly lit corridor opened right in front of them.

"Are you nervous?" Clary asked.

Mary drew a deep breath.

"Just a little", she lied as they continued their journey towards the Potions Classroom. With a shaking hand, Mary pushed the wooden door. Slowly, the door moved and revealed the Potions Classroom. For a short moment, Mary was only able stand still and examine the room in front of her. Her eyes brushed over the classroom and landed on those of Professor Snape's.