Chapter 4-2: The Night's Struggle

I leave the station and walk towards Jiyoung's house. That guy by the wall was really suspicious, I thought. What was he doing there on that day dressed like that?

I had to learn his identity myself. I don't care if he doesn't turn out to be connected. Things are getting dire, and we can't ignore any leads, no matter how unlikely.

After all, Jiyoung is counting on us.

Evening shadows have settled over the alleyway.

It's creepy. It was around here.

I look around, but I don't see anyone who looks like they could be the guy. My heart sank. Maybe he's not here...No, I need to be patient. I'll wait.

After all, criminals like to return to the scene of the crime. Quite some time passes until finally, I hear a loud crash from the darkest part of the alleyway.

I jumped. "What was that?" I cautiously approached the area. Someone in a hat was standing over a car with a broken window. "What the?" He had just smashed the glass. I had to catch him! He's a criminal. I can't let him out of my sight.

I swallow my fear and approach the man one step forward—two steps, three steps. That's when he noticed me. He tightens his grip on the steel pipes and advances me menacingly.

I back away. I had nothing to project myself. Ah, what do I do?

Namjun suddenly appears and grabs the steel pipe.

"What? Namjun!"

"Who are you?" Namjun asked the man as he tightened his grip on the steel pipe and tried to see the suspect's face. But there's no way to get a good look. It's dark, and he's wearing a hat and mask.

"Namjun, be careful! It's the suspect!"

Startled by my comment. The suspicious man tugs sharply on the pipe. Though Namjun sways a little, he has a tight grip and stands firm. The pipe shakes with the tension exerted from both sides.

I'll help you from the back! I decided, fuelled by Namjun's presence.

I try to move behind Namjun as carefully as I can. The man seems to notice that he's about to be at a disadvantage. He lets go of the pipe.

"Ugh!" Namjun stumbles backward from the sudden shift in momentum.

That's when the man starts to run.

"Stop right there!" He chases after the man.

We follow his shadows around corners upon corners, back to the main street. But...He's disappeared into the crowd.

I check on Namjun, who is breathing heavily as he walks back to me. "Are you alright? Were you hurt?"

Namjun shook his head, more interested in me. "I'm okay. Are you hurt?"

I flashed him a small smile that didn't last long. "I'm fine. That guy took the dashcam. It was a clue that we could have used to find Jiyoung. How did you know to come this way?"

Namjun crossed his arms. "You seemed to be up to something when you left the station. Catching the suspect would be great, but that was dangerous, doing it by yourself. Promise me you won't do that again."

"Okay, I'll be more careful next time," I nod slowly. "What do we do now? That guy seemed pretty guilty."

Namjun sighed. "He got away this time, but he won't be so lucky next time."

I can't help but sigh, too, letting out some of my frustration.

Namjun stepped closer. "So, let's find Jiyoung together so we don't get burnt out."

I am grateful Namjun worries about my feelings, but I know things must be harder for him.