Chapter 8 - A New Beginning on a Full Moons Eve

Bella's POV

The doorbell's shrill ring sliced through the quiet afternoon. Edward and I had spent the morning transforming the guest room into a makeshift haven for our soon-to-be-adopted siblings. Three twin beds, mismatched in a way that whispered childhood comfort, were pushed together to form a fort-like structure. A worn leather bean bag chair, a gift from Carlisle, sat invitingly in one corner, and a beat-up easel with a half-finished portrait leaned against the opposite wall. This last addition was a last-minute decision, spurred by Edward's keen hearing that one of the boys enjoyed drawing.

Taking a deep breath, I smoothed down the wrinkles on my floral blouse and hurried towards the door. Through the peephole, I saw four figures huddled on the porch. Three tall, gangly boys with unruly dark hair, their faces etched with a mixture of nervousness and apprehension. A small girl, no older than twelve, stood beside them, her gaze fixed on a bright red ladybug crawling across the railing.

Throwing the door open, I braced myself. "Hello?" My voice sounded unfamiliar in the sudden quiet.

The three boys shifted, their eyes flickering between me and Edward, who stood silently a few steps behind me. The little girl, however, met my gaze head-on. Her eyes, a warm chocolate brown, held a spark of curiosity that instantly disarmed me.

"Hi," she said, her voice barely a whisper. "I'm Dakota."

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips. "Hi Dakota, I'm Bella. Come in, all of you."

As they filed in, the first thing that struck me was their silence. The boys, despite their size, moved with an almost shy grace. They introduced themselves in a jumble of mumbled syllables – Jaxon, the tallest with a mop of unruly hair the color of midnight, Jeremy, the one with a smattering of freckles across his nose, and Jason, who sported a faint scar above his left eyebrow.

"Welcome," Edward said, his voice as gentle as ever. "We're happy you're here."

The boys mumbled something in response, their eyes darting around the room. Dakota, however, seemed to have shed her initial shyness. She wandered over to the easel, her fingers tracing the lines of the unfinished portrait.

"Cool," she breathed, her voice filled with awe. "Is that a wolf?"

"It was supposed to be," I admitted, a little sheepishly. "But I never finished it."

"Can I?" she asked, her eyes wide with hope.

Surprised, I glanced at Edward, who offered a small smile. "Of course," I said to Dakota. "We have paints and brushes in the garage. Would you like me to help you find them?"

Her face lit up. "Yes please!"

As I led Dakota outside, I stole a glance back at the boys. They were huddled together, their faces unreadable. "Would you boys like something to drink?" I asked, hoping to break the ice.

Jaxon, the tallest of the three, stepped forward. "Yeah, that'd be great. Water, please."

The next hour was a whirlwind of activity. Edward helped the boys settle in, showing them their room and familiarizing them with the house. I, with Dakota's enthusiastic help, managed to transform the unfinished portrait into a rather impressive depiction of a snarling wolf. As we worked, Dakota regaled me with stories about her life on the reservation, her love for horses, and her dream of becoming a veterinarian.

By the time Carlisle arrived, the house was filled with a comfortable buzz. He greeted the children with his usual warmth, putting them at ease with his gentle demeanor and playful banter. As he examined them, I watched the boys, their initial nervousness slowly giving way to a cautious curiosity.